A's Win In Garnish

November 7, 2018

Our Junior A’s played out a good game in Cahermore today, coming away with a 2-09 to 0-08 result.

Urhan Junior A’s registered a further win this weekend when they visited Cahermore for a doubled up Beara League and South West League game on Sunday. The home outfit were missing a number of influential players, including Sean T. O’Sullivan who starred for the Cork minor outfit the previous evening.

With his absence coupled with others the Garnish attack relied largely on strong full forward Tom Bowe as a focal point. In beautiful western sunshine Urhan began the brighter with swift attacking moves proving threatening. David McCarthy opening the account for Urhan with a left footed strike after a foray down the right flank. Captain James Healy doubled the lead for the visitors on the fourth minute with a 30 yard free.  Urhan’s defence proved quite mean in the opening period and it was the 23rd minute before Garnish registered their first point having missed a couple of scoreable frees. In this time Urhan had further extended the lead to 5 points as Concubhar Harrington kept the scoreboard ticking over including a 40 yard kick from wide on the right.

Healy made no mistake from a free in the 25th minute to restore Urhan’s 5 point margin, 0-6 to 0-1, but Garnish immediately responded with a placed ball of their own. The sides exchanged a further point each from the opposing full forwards before the interval, halftime score 0-7 to 0-3.

Urhan full forward, Martin McCarthy, picked up where he left off on the resumption with an early score and when Iain O’ Sullivan slotted over with 20 minutes remaining Urhan seemed to have a comfortable margin.

However, Tom Bowe was dismissed for Garnish and despite the advantage initially showing for the Reds it soon turned to a disadvantage as Garnish dug deep and Urhan began to become much more rushed and panicked. In the ensuing 10 minutes the arrears were reduced to 4 point as momentum clearly shifted in favour of the hosts. Urhan continued to work hard however and their fears were allayed when Martin McCarthy first dispossessed a defender close to goal before quickly pursuing the Garnish net minder and repeating the trick to finish to the net.

Garnish replied again with a free minutes later but when Iain O’Sullivan and Martin McCarthy combined to setup Concubhar Harrington the game was finally put beyond Garnish as he hit the net on the 58th minute. Garnish concluded the scoring with two further points as Urhan were also reduced to 14 men in the closing minutes.

Team: Alan Dunne; Aidan O’ Neill, PJ Cadogan, Luke Daly; John Dwyer, Mikey O’ Shea, David Cronin; Dan Dwyer, Finbarr Dwyer; James Healy, Iain O’ Sullivan, Martin O’ Neill; Concubhar Harrington, Martin McCarthy, David McCarthy.

Subs: Sean Daly, Niall Dwyer, Sean Dwyer, Kevin Harrington (for David McCarthy), David O’ Brien, Declan O’ Neill (for Martin O’ Neill), Kieran O’ Neill (for Luke Daly), Diarmuid O’ Sullivan, Sean O’ Sullivan.