Athlone Town FC Weekly News

November 8, 2018

Under 17s Advance in Leinster Cup
Athlone Town 4  Shelbourne     1
Athlone Town Under 17s progressed to the 3rd Round of the Under 18 Leinster Cup with a comprehensive 4-1 win over Shelbourne. Despite playing one year below their age group they settled well and coped with the bigger more physical Shelbourne in an early bout of pressure.
The home side took the lead when a long ball was played through the Shels back four and looked to be out of reach of the pursuing Robbie Benson who somehow managed to wrap his foot round the ball and cross the ball into the six yard box. The visitors keeper fumbled the ball and James Craughwell untangled the ball from the keepers legs to put the ball over the line for the opening goal.
Shels had a glorious chance to bring things level when a cross into the box struck Eamonn Donohues arm and the ref pointed to the spot. The Shelbourne number 10 stolled up to the ball and seemed too sure he was going to score and balsted the ball over the crossbar.
As the second half progressed Athlone were coping well with the Shels forward line and on one of their first attacks Robbie Benson was taken down just outside the box and from the resulting free kick kevin Boland curled the ball just over the crossbar.
It wasn’t long before the home team doubled their advantage when a long clearance from the Athlone defence caused trouble for the Shelbourne keeper who was being challenged by the half time substitute Scott Gaynor and the ball fell to Aaron O’Connor who slotted the ball home.
A through ball from Darren Harney to Robbie Benson looked to have extended their lead but the Shelbourne keeper made an excellent save to put the ball out for a corner. Corey Jinks floated in the corner and it deceived the visitors defence but Robbie Benson rose to head the ball home too early and it sailed across goal to safety.
Athlone then put the game beyond the reach of their visitors when a free kick from James Craughwell just inside the visitirs half was met by the foot of Aaron O’Connor who put the ball home in of the underside of the crossbar for his fourth goal in his only two appearances for the club.
Shelbourne the scored what was to turn out to be a consolation goal when the home defence failed to clear a corner on several occasions and the visitors number 10 struck the ball soundly to the net through a group of players.
The home side put the final nail in the coffin when a brilliant cross from 15 year old Darren Harney fell to Irish Under 17 international Robbie Benson who with excellent technique vollyed it home.
Speaking to after the game manager Anthony Sherlock after the game he said “We didnt play well and gave away an easy goal but you can’t complain when things don’t go the way you plan on the pitch and still win 4-1 against a more senior side”
The Under 17s are back to league action next weekend with a fixture to be announced with an FAI Under 17 Cup second round fixture at home the following Sunday against the winners of the Leixlip / Sherrif United first round tie being played today. Check out for updates

Under 20s Lose out to Kildare County
Kildare County 3 Athlone Town 1
Athlone Town traveled to Clane on Saturday in their first match of the new Dr Tony O’Neill Under 20s League and were on the wrong end of a 3-1 scoreline.  Athlone got of to the better start but their first shot on target resulted in an excellent save from the Kildare County goalkeeper Mick Lawless.
In the 11th minute the visitors went one down when some excellent play resulted in Ricky Moriarity show excellent composure and reflexes to slot the ball home past Lee Gaffey.
Kildare pressured the visitors constantly and never let them have it easy taking the ball out of defence.  All this hard work paid off when an error by Athlone goalkeeper Lee Gaffey was pounced on by Moriarity who cipped the ball into the net form a tight angle.
Just on the stroke of half time a free kick to County was swung in by Eddie Hennessy was met powerfully by Paddy Mahon and the ball settled in the back of the net.
10 minutes into the second half Kildare found themselves down to ten men and Athlone tried to take advantage.  All the pressure soon resulted in a deserved goal when a mistake by the Kildare County goalkeeper was pounced on by Ian Coffey and he calmly put the ball in the net.  As much as the visitors tried they could not pull another goal back.
Next up for the Under 20s is a home tie against UCD on Saturday 4th October Kick off 7.00pm.  Admission to this game is free.  So pay a visit and support the future of Athlone Town.

Congratulations from the committee, staff and players of Athlone Town FC to Catriona and Adrian Carberry on the recent new arrival of a baby girl to their clan.

Up and coming fixtures in the Stadium
Tuesday 7th October – Athlone Town vs Sporting Fingal Kick Off 7.45pm
Saturday 4th October – U 20s – Athlone Town vs UCD Kick off 7pm (Free Admission)
Saturday 11th October – Athlone Town vs Shelbourne Kick Off 7.30pm
Sunday 12th October – U 17s – Athlone Town vs Sherrif Utd or Leixlip.  FAI Cup Kick off 12pm
Keep up to date by visiting