Ballygarvan 0-10 Belgooly 1-06

November 8, 2018

Holders Ballygarvan qualified for the quarter-final of the South East Junior Football Championship, by virtue of this one point victory over dogged Belgooly.

Played in Kinsale on Saturday night, Ballygarvan just about deserved their victory in a game that was devoid of much good football.

For the winners, who have lost the last two county finals, this was their second poor performance in this year’s championship, and if they have ambitions to go one step further, they need to raise their game several notches.

Belgooly, for their part had to line out without three Dwyer’s, (Patrick, Barry & Dan). However, they were very game and kept attacking to the final whistle, but their over reliance on Rory Dwyer to carry them through is a handicap.

On a nice evening for football, Ballygarvan race into a three point lead by the ninth minute, and looked to be heading for a comfortable victory. But in a repeat of their last game against Ballymartle, some poor shooting and poor play left their opponents off the hook, and Belgooly, to their credit took full advantage.

Ballygarvan led by 0-4 to 0-1 by the 19th minute, their points coming from Gary White(2), Liam Dillon and a Donal Sweeney free, while Andrew Daly had Belgooly’s lone score. However, the game was turned on its head in the 24th minute when Daniel Cronin goaled for Belgooly. A pointed free from Rory Dwyer left Belgooly ahead at half time 1-2 to 0-4.

Points from Gary White(2) and Damien O’Sullivan left Ballygarvan 0-7 to 1-2 ahead after 42 minutes. The introduction of Stephen White at half time had a major bearing on Ballygarvan’s second half play as he steadied the ship around the middle of the field. However Belgooly never stopped trying. With Eoghan Allen and Rory Dwyer driving them on, they kept pressing.

Tom Keogh and Damien O’Sullivan swapped points, before Cork Star Ger Spillane pointed after a powerful run from centre back. Substitute Seamus Landers and Dwyer from a free left just a point between the teams as the game entered the final minutes.

Mark Kennefick put two points between the teams with a point on the 60th minute. However Dwyer again pointed a free a minute later.

But Belgooly ran out of time, and a very relieved Ballygarvan moved on to the quarter-final, where they will meet their first round conquerors Ballymartle, while Belgooly now meet Valley Rovers in a game which is fixed for  Wednesday Night, from which the losers will be eliminated from this year’s championship.

Scorers: Ballygarvan: G White 0-4(1 f), D O’Sullivan 0-2, D Sweeney 0-1(1f), L Dillon 0-1, G Spillane 0-1, M Kennefick 0-1.

Belgooly: D Cronin 1-0, R Dwyer 0-3(3f), A Daly 0-1, T Keogh 0-1, S Landers 0-1.

BALLYGARVAN: J Murphy; A Murphy, A Butler, J Spillane; C O’Sullivan, G Spillane, J Barron; Joe Spillane, S O’Leary; L Dillon, D O’Sullivan, D Bouse; G White, D Sweeney, M Kennefick. Subs: S White for D Sweeney(ht), M O’Riordan for L Dillon(40), J Browne for D O’Sullivan(57), D O’Regan for D Bouse(57).

BELGOOLY: M Murphy; T O’Sullivan, Eoghan Allen, P O’Donoghue; G Wall, J Dwyer, D Murphy; B Hurley, Evan Allen; A Daly, G Commiskey, R Dwyer; K O’Connell, T Keogh, D Cronin. Subs: S Landers for D Cronin(50).

Referee: Ger Harrington (Carrigaline).