Birmingham 9s Tournament

November 7, 2018

Fr. Murphy’s travelled to Birmingham to defend their International Womens Festival title with a strong side, despite being without eight girls on duty with the county team. They were drawn in a group with John Mitchels (Birmingham), Tara (London) and Liverpool Hope University, while the other group contained Green Isle (London), Erin go Bragh (Birmingham) and Cullion from Westmeath.


The girls in purple and gold opened with a game against John Mitchels of Birmingham and were soon underway with goals from Maura McAuley(2) and Hannah Noonan, and a point from Dee O Riordan was shortly followed by a goal from Sandra Martin. They led 4-01 to 0-00 at half time. Two points each for Sandra Martin and Alicia O Sullivan, gave them a win with a score line of 4-05 to 0-00, and captain Anna Gibson celebrated by
keeping a clean sheet.

Next up was the all London clash with Tara‘s, which proved to be an exciting game. Denise Gilligan opened the scoring for Tara with two points, but Maura McAuley replied for the Murphy’s. Then a shot from Denise Gilligan looked to be sailing over the bar, but dipped into the net. In a typical Murphy’s fashion though, the girls fought for everything.
Fiona Noone, on her first outing for the camogie team, was a big presence on the pitch and Hannah Noonan and Jade O Neill carried the ball and ran at the Tara defence. Sandra Martin and Maura McAuley were always a threat and although at half time Tara led 1-02
to Murphy’s 0-02 you could just sense the girls in purple and gold had a lot more fight in them. Dee O Riordan who had to come off injured during the first half returned to the pitch for the second half and the Murphy’s threw everything at Tara. They had a few wides, but midway through the half, after the Tara keeper made a double save, Alicia O’Sullivan whipped the ball to the net to draw level. Maura McAuley then pointed
a placed ball, and the Murphy’s came under immense pressure for the final minutes but managed to hold onto their slender lead. With the Referee about to blow the full time whistle Maura McAuley pointed again from an acute angle for Murphy’s to run out winners on a score line of 1-04 to 1-02.

With the bare nine players, the girls in purple and gold were starting to tire and the injuries were starting to mount. Having already secured a semi final place, they lost the last group game to an excellent Liverpool Hope University side 2-02 to 0-03.


They were drawn against Cullion of Westmeath in the semi final. Through tired and aching limbs they battled on. Cullion got a great start of a goal and two points before Maura McAuley replied with a point. The half time score was 1-03 to 0-01 in favour
of Cullion, but in the second half the Murphy’s fighting spirit appeared again. Jade O’Neill goaled and Sandra Martin was desperately unlucky with a goal chance that would have drawn the game. The final score in Cullion’s favour was 1-04 to 1-01.

Fr. Murphy’s club are very proud of their girls this weekend. Not only did they have eight players on duty for the county team in a marvellous win over Tyrone but they also found another nine with a never say die attitude to represent the club in Birmingham.