Brave Comeback Falls Short

November 7, 2018

Sarsfields 1-13 Granemore 2-13
The players were out on the field warming up and club volunteers were out with the forks trying to improve the drainage, but the pitched was deemed unplayable. Fortunately club officials had a backup having earlier requested the use of Davitt Park. So all hands jumped into cars and headed for town for a later throw in.
Granemore had the best of the exchanges early on. On top at midfield and having wind advantage they went into a three point lead, despite the best efforts of the Highmoss defence with Paul Magee in particular having prevented a couple of scores.
Sarsfields came back into the game gaining a bit more primary possession and Richie Stevenson hit over a point from play after collecting a ball from his brother Michael in a good move direct from a kick-out. Michael followed up with a point, but surprisingly hit the post with a thirteen meter free. In the follow up play Richie Stevenson sent over the levelling score from a free. Richie had a further chance on goal that was superbly blocked by a Granemore defender, though when he came up from the ground in possession, the feeling was that it would have been practically impossible not to have handled the ball on the ground.
However Granemore were to dominate the remainder of the half and they hit 2-03 without reply to lead by nine points. It wasn’t for the first time this season that the Highmoss had conceded two quick consecutive goals. A late Richie Stevenson free free made it an eight point game at half-time.
No doubt few around the side-lines would have fancied Sarsfields’ chances, but to be fair the team and their management had other ideas. An early Paul McGeown free got Sarsfields off the mark and seconds later Chris McGaughey rose to fist an incoming ball over the bar. Richie Stevenson added a long range free, highlighting the wind advantage and demonstrating that there was hope. In a purple patch for the Highmoss Johnny Reynolds hit a goal and three points to level the match. The team was both winning primary possession and putting in good tackles. When Richie Stevenson added a point, Sarsfields were ahead for the first time in the match and they had outscored the visitors by 1-07 to 0-01 in the second half.
To be fair Granemore had more in the tank when many would have fancied them to lose at this stage. They hit five points in as many minutes to restore both their lead and their confidence. Sarsfields came back with a couple of points to give themselves a chance with only two between the sides. Granemore packed the defence, held out and pushed forward for the score that meant that they wouldn’t lose the game. In a last gasp attack Eamon McGeown fisted a ball dangerously across the goal, but the vital last touch couldn’t be made on the ball.
Sarsfields had shown good character but the goals had cost dear.

Sarsfields Team Darran McAvoy Dara O’Hanlon, Paul Magee, Ciaran Kerr Johnny Niblock, Darren Breen, Mark Reynolds, Eamon McGeown, Brian Lavery, Paul McGeown (0-01), Paul McGaughey, Chris McGaughey (0-01) Michael Stevenson (0-02), Johnny Reynolds (1-03), Richie Stevenson (0-06), Substitutes used; Aidan Haughian for Dara O’Hanlon