Bride Rovers G.A.A. Club Notes For THe Week.

November 8, 2018

Mixed Fortunes for Hurling Teams.

Our Junior and Senior Hurling teams were both in championship action at the weekend. The Junior team were bidding for a place in the East Cork Final for the first time in twelve years. The Senior team were playing in an ‘up or down’ vital Third round game -the losers were into the dreaded Relegation Final whilst the winners were in the last 16 of the County SHC. It was a hectic weekend and while we won the vital Senior game we lost the East Cork tie. 1  9 was the score of the weekend – we scored that total in the Junior game while conceding the same margin in the Blarney game.

East Cork Junior Hurling Semi-Final

Our last East Cork Junior Hurling Championship semi final was in 1998 when we defeated Watergrasshill in Caherlag on Sunday September 6th on a scoreline of 1-8 to 1-5. The last time we played an East Cork semi final in Ballynoe was in1984 when Midleton defeated us by 2-10 to 0-12. Last Saturday night’s game was very even in the first half but the defending champions upped a gear in the second half when they scored 1-8 to our 1-13. The Reds had the first point but Mike Hogan levelled. Jimmy Smiddy then struck three points in a row to put his side 0-4 to 0-1 ahead. With Gavin O’Flynn and Pat Walsh hurling very well, we really tore into the contest. Points from Terry Broderick and Pat Cotter saw the teams level on 4 points each after 12 minutes. We had the best of the play for a period but didn’t register any scores and it was Castlemartyr who took the initiative. They went two ahead but Terry and Pat again brought the sides to parity 0-6 each. Our half back line of Cormac, Liam and Jim insured a plentiful supply of ball to our forwards but the Castlemartyr defence were in mean form. They notched two points just before the break to lead at half time by 0-8 to 0-6. On the resumption Castlemartyr went 5 points ahead, 0-11 to 0-6. Gavin, Terry and Pat all replied with a point each to lave just two in it after ten minutes. Then Castlemartyr really cut lose. They scored a goal and this changed the whole pattern of the match five points in a row saw the Reds lead by 1-16 to 0-9. We were awarded a semi penalty but Terry’s shot was saved a few minutes later Donal Ryan’s shot was just wide. Pat Cotter did raise a green flag when he pounced on a ball that came back off the post. The final score was 1-16 to 1-9. A seven point defeat was disappointing but in fairness to the eighteen players who played on the night, they all did their best. Great credit to all concerned especially the backroom team of Dan, Alan and James. We had a very late start to our Junior Hurling campaign this year and to reach the last 4 of the championship was a major achievement. The senior team had used twenty players before we played the first round of this competition and its always going to be difficult when you come up against strong ‘first’ teams. Castlemartyr now play fellow parishioners Dungourney in the East Cork Final on Saturday September 4th.

Team & Scorers: Gavin Quill, Tomás Kearney, Brendan O’Driscoll, Stephen Walsh, Cormac Collins, Liam Forde, Jim O’Connor (Capt), Gavin O’Flynn (0-1), Pat Walsh, Mike Hogan (0-1), Richie Cahill, Terry Broderick (0-3), Owen Murphy, Alan O’Keeffe, Pat Cotter (1-4). Subs: Donal Ryan, Patrick O’Driscoll, Stephen Pratt.

Senior Hurling Championship

Since our last game in the Cork Senior Hurling Championship against Glen Rovers on Sunday June 27th, a lot has been written and spoken of the game and as they say, a lot of water has flowed under Dr. Barry’s Bridge. Well all the controversaries of the past six weeks had to be brushed aside on Sunday evening last when we faced Blarney in Round Three of the Championship. Like us, Blarney had lost their two opening games in this year’s championship to Ballinhassig and Newtownshandrum. Blarney are just in their third year in the Senior grade, having won the Premier Intermediate title in Cork in 2007. In the spring of 2008 they went on to win the All Ireland Intermediate Club Championship title in Croke Park. In 2003 when we won the Cork Intermediate Hurling Championship title we met Blarney in the first round in Watergrasshill. That was on Sunday April 27th when we won by 0-13 to 2-5 having been level 0-7 to 1-4 at the break.

The die was cast on Sunday as the previous evening Blackrock had lost to Cloyne in their last chance game. This meant that the losers of the Bride Rovers v Blarney game would meet Blackrock in the relegation final with the losing side then going down to Premier Intermediate Grade for 2011.

With a six o’clock start in Pairc Uí Chaoimh on Sunday, a lot of cows were milked in Bartlemy, Rathcormac and Kildinan. Despite the unusual start time, there was a decent enough crowd present for a single game. From the moment Gerard Harrington throw in the sliotar, we were on the attack and Kieran Collins had a good early point. From the puckout Blarney attacked and full forward John Hurley kicked the ball to the net to put his side ahead. This could have been a disastrous situation but the lads never panicked. Barry Johnson pointed a free and in the fifth minute, Michael Collins hit over the equalizer. We really dominated the play for the next fifteen minutes but just couldn’t score. Between the 6th and 17th minute we had five wides in a row. Three minutes later Blarney took the lead again from a free. A similar score put the Mid Cork side two points ahead, 1-2 to 0-3 in the twenty fifth minute. After a good defensive clearance, Stephen Boyce got a nice point but Blarney went two ahead 1-3 to 0-4. Jerome had a point to leave the minimum between the sides but in added time, Blarney hit over a free to see them go in at the break ahead by 1-4 to 0-5. It was a disappointing situation because in reality we could easily have been 4 or 5 points up. The pace of the game increased drastically in the second half with both teams making a huge effort. Barry Johnson pointed two great frees to restore parity in the fifth minute. Two minutes later we were awarded a penalty. Barry’s shot was saved but Sean Ryan raised a white flag and we were ahead for only the second time in the game. With the Rovers crowd now in full voice, Barry put us tow points ahead. Barry Murphy was brilliant at centre back and he led by example. Ahead by 0-10 to 1-5, it looked like we would pull away. Blarney had other ideas though. They narrowed the gap with a pointed free in the 45th minute. Then came the crucial moment of the game. The Mid Cork side were awarded a semi penalty, which, if they had goaled from, would put them 2 points ahead. The shot was saved and from the subsequent ’65m the teams were level once more 1-7 to 0-10. Two more points from Barry put us 0-12 to 1-7 in front. Just when we looked to move ahead we conceded silly frees and Blarney were level again 1-9 to 0-12 with seven minutes to go. When Brian Murphy went on a surging run he was pulled down and Barry put us a point ahead 0-13 to 1-9. Blarney had several dangerous attacks in the final minutes but Brendan Walsh and Denny Fitzgerald marshalled the defence well. With two minutes to go Barry put us 0-14 to 1-9 ahead – two points up a dangerous lead. Blarney went for a winning goal but the sliotar was cleared to Michael Collins, he found Barry who passed to Donal Ryan, the Blarney goalie advanced on Donal who returned the sliotar to Barry – Goal! At last we were safe, up 1-14 to 1-9. Shortly after the final whistle went. It wasn’t a classic game but the feeling of relief at the final whistle! We are still in the 2010 championship and we’ll be senior in 2011. It was a great game to win and credit to the eighteen players who played. We were missing Daniel Dooley and David Burke from the earlier rounds. Well done lads and well done to the backroom team who’ve had a difficult time over the last six weeks, not knowing whether we were in or out.

Team & Scorers: Denis Fitzgerald, Shane Kearney, Brendan Walsh, Trevor Moloney, Jason Pratt, Barry Murphy, Aidan Collins, Brian Murphy, Padraig Murphy, Kieran Collins (0-1), Barry Johnson (1-9), Jerome O’Driscoll, (0-1), Michael Collins ((0-1), Sean Ryan (0-1), Stephen Boyce (0-1).

Subs: Donal Ryan, Michael Kearney, Pat Walsh.  

We will be back in action on this Friday evening August 20th when we face Carrigtwohill in Ballynoe. With just five days between games, this is a big ask for the lads. Having won their first round game against Killeagh, so they will be well prepared for this tie. The game is fixed for 6.45pm. The pressure is off now so go for it lads.

Under 21 Hurling

We are down to play Castlelyons in the East Cork U-21 hurling championship on Monday night next August 23rd. Castlelyons have already had an outing, defeating St Catherines in the first round so they will be a formidable opposition. This game is also in Ballynoe on Monday night at 6.45pm.

Minor Championship

We are fixed to play Carrignavar in the semi final of the East Cork Minor ‘B’ hurling championship on next Wednesday night August 25th. The game is fixed for Watergrasshill at 6.45pm but may be changed.

Executive Meeting

The next meeting of the Club Executive is on Monday August 23rd at 9pm.

Africa Collection

Many thanks to all those who supported the recent Church Gate Collection for Famine Relief in Fr. Seanie Barry’s Mission district in Kenya.

Cork v Dublin

Best of luck to Cork footballers on Sunday. Safe travelling to all those going to the game. Gerard and Daniel Lane are part of Conor Counihan’s backroom staff and we wish them all the best.