Castleisland Club Championship Quarter-Final - Rathmore V Legion

November 8, 2018

Rathmore 1-10 Legion 0-11


Rathmore booked their place in the Semi Final of the Club Championship after a two point victory in Rathbeg on Saturday evening. Legion played with the breeze in the first half and it was them who opened the scoring with two points from James O’ Donoghue in the first five minutes, one from play and one from a free. A Mark Reen point in the sixth minute opened Rathmore’s account, and this was followed up by a Donal O’ Sullivan free to tie up the game. James O’ Donoghue pointed in the 12th minute and David O’ Sullivan pointed a free to give Legion a two point advantage midway through the half. Rathmore clawed their way back into the game with three Michael O’ Riordan frees in the 19th, 28th and 30th minute to give Rathmore a one point advantage heading into the break, Rathmore 0-05 Legion 0-04.

A David O’ Sullivan free in the opening minutes of the second half levelled up the game at five points a piece. Rathmore took the lead through a great point by Donal O’ Sullivan in the 3rd minute. By the 10th minute Legion were ahead by two points as they scored three unanswered points, two from James O’ Donoghue, one from play and one from a free, and a point by Killian Tracey. Then in the 10th minute referee Pat Sheehy awarded Rathmore a penalty when one of the Legion players picked the ball off the ground in the square. John Buckley rattled the penalty into the net to give Rathmore a point advantage 1-06 to 0-08.
A point by midfielder Padraig Lucey tied up in the game again in the 13th minute. Rathmore got to grips around the middle of the field and raced into a three point lead within the next ten minutes. Two points from Donal O’ Sullivan, one from a free and one from play, and a point by Mark Reen. A Conor Keane free in the 25th minute put two between the sides again. The sides exchanged points within the next two minutes, Rathmore’s came through a Donal O’ Sullivan free and a brilliant point by Legion’s James O’ Donoghue. Then Legion had a great goal chance which was brilliantly saved by Padraic McCarthy to keep Rathmore ahead by two points. Legion kept pressing for the goal in the final minutes but Rathmore kept them out. Legion were awarded a free deep in injury time close to goal, the referee indicated it was going to be the last play. Conor Keane took it with goal on his mind but he had to beat most of the Rathmore team who were on the line. He took a bullet of a shot that rebound off the cross bar, so Rathmore marched on to the semi finals on a score line of Rathmore 1-10 Legion 0-11.