Club News for week of 5 December 2011

November 7, 2018




Under 14s:

Our league match like all other club matches this weekend fell foul of the weather.On Thursday night next Dec 8 we play a training match against our under 15s and on Sunday we are at home to Ballina on the 14s league, weather permitting.

CREGGS RUGBY Under-15s     

Our Creggs Under-15 Connacht League game away to Galwegians RFC yesterday was called-off due to a water-logged pitch. We had a good training session in Creggs at 11am instead.

We also hope to have the previously postponed game v our Under-14 team on Thursday night next at 7pm. Please be there at 6.45pm.

Under-15s travel to Heineken Cup match next weekend
We are taking all the Under-15 squad to the big Heineken Cup match between Connacht and top English side Gloucester RFC on next Saturday, December 10th. in Galway. We will travel by cars. Finalised details will be given at training on this Thursday at 7pm. 


Creggs U16 continue good run


Creggs Rugby 35     Loughrea RFC 5

Creggs continued their Under 16 Connacht League campaign on Saturday afternoon in Donamon and produced a six try performance to continue their unbeaten start to the campaign.

Creggs began this game very strongly and from the very start rarely let the opponents time on the ball or to settle. This early pressure paid off when a poor clearance kick was collected by Creggs and after putting it through a few sets of hands Ronan Raftery ran clear to score in the corner after only 5 minutes. Straight from the kick off Creggs put their opponents back in their 22 and again a poor clearance was collected by Creggs and Ryan Horan touched down to increase the lead to 10-0.

Loughrea gathered the ball from the restart and at last spent some time in Creggs half. good work from their pack provided the platform for Benjamin Ekong to score in the corner.

The soft underfoot conditions meant that moving the ball wide was difficult and the Creggs forwards certainly were doing the hard work around the fringes and were making hard yards at every opportunity. Outstanding in the pack were Dylan Keavney, Ronan Raftery, Tom Oates and Matthew Brandon and as usual they were excellently marshalled by Brian Cleary at scrum half. In the backs Rory O Brochalain, John Brennan and Diarmuid Cunniffe stood out in attack.

Creggs extended the difference to 10 points when Ronan Raftery again touched down in the corner after great work from Mark Kearney and Barry McDonnell at the breakdown. and further points were added by the boot of Noel Gately shortly afterwards to leave the score 18-5.

Just as half time approached Ryan Horan scored an excellent individual try, after tackling Gearoid Reilly on the 10 metre line, he got back on his feet to steel the ball at the breakdown and raced clear to score under the posts which was converted by Noel Gately to leave the score  25-5 at half time.

Creggs rang the changes in the second half and continued in the same vein when they gathered the ball directly from the kick off, gained good ground through the pack and for Ronan Raftery to score his third try of the game. The game was more even in the second half with both teams having periods of pressure but Creggs had the last say on the scoreboard when Diarmuid Cunniffe touched down with 15 minutes to go to eave the final score 35-5.

Brian Collins, Rory Collins, Michael Mongan, Jamie Mee and Sean Gaffey did very well in the pack in the second half and Maurice Buckley stood out at scrum half in the second half and made some fine breaks from the base of the rucks. While Mark Naughton, Evan Concur and Jack Caltagirone did well in the backs during the second half.

Creggs Rugby U-15s; Eoghan Farrell, Mark Kearney, Barry McDonnell, Rory Collins, Maurice Buckley, Dylan Keavney, Matthew Brandon, Noel Gately, Evan Concur, Brian Cleary, Ryan Horan, Tom Oates, Diarmuid Cunniffe, Mark Naughton, Rory O Brochalain, John Brennan, David Murray, Jack Caltagirone, Michael Mongan, Brian Collins, Brian Donohoe, Neville Walker, Sean Gaffey, and Ronan Raftery.



The Connacht Junior League match v Loughrea RFC due to be played yesterday in Creggs was called off due to the pitch being unplayable.