Club Notes 12th October 2008

November 8, 2018




 Elphin again worked their comeback magic for the second time in 3 years in a minor final. While it may not have been as spectacular as the last minute drama of the 2006 final, this victory over St. Aidan’s was equally impressive, trailing at one stage in the first half by 1-6 to 0-2.
   Elphin made a very sleepy start typified by the Aidan’s goal which came from a defensive mistake. But credit to Elphin who despite making these mistakes, which would cripple most team’s confidence, they kept fighting and never gave up.
   The Elphin comeback was started with a wonderful point from Gerry Cregg from his left foot. This inspired the rest of his teammates and after their bad opening fifteen minutes, Elphin dominated the second 15 minutes and were right back in the game by half time trailing by 1-7 to 0-7 at half time.
  Elphin Started the second half with a good point from Eanna Tiernan, The opening period of the half was pretty tight with neither team gaining a clear advantage, while Frankie Cregg had a great goal chance, but the goalie made a good save to deny his goal ward bound shot. Midway through the half Elphin had drawn level at 1-8 to 0-11 and within a couple of minutes of drawing level Frankie got another chance for a goal this time he made no mistake. Within seconds Elphin had the ball in the back of the net again when Martin McCaffrey attempted point hit the post and landed on the chest of Colm Nerney on the edge of the square and he made no mistake from close range.      
  Frankie could have had another goal within another couple of minutes but his shot was again saved by the Aidan’s goalie. Elphin seemed to be cruising at this stage with only minutes left but a mix up in the defence gave away possession and Aidan’s got through to finish to the net. Aidan’s then added another point to leave a point between the teams. There was more drama to come when an Aidan’s man was clear on the 14 with an easy chance on to level the game but he went for glory and his shot hit the post and went wide. Shortly afterwards the final whistle was blown and there were scenes of jubilance all around. Man of the Match was Gerry Cregg who scored 9 points with both right and left feet and holds a great future. Many thanks to all our supporters who travelled up to Kiltoom and never gave up on the team. Final score Elphin 2-12 St. Aidans 2-11.

Team: B. Oates, J. Sweeney, K. Beirne, R. Beirne, C. King, D. Kellgher, P. Morris, S. Beirne, F. Cregg (1-0), G. Cregg (0-9), E. Tiernan (0-3), S. McDermott, M. Mc Caffrey, J. Conroy, C. Nerney (1-0). Subs: D. McGrath, D. O Riley, D. Feely, S. Mc Caffery, B. Neary, D. Henson, C. Beirne.

Ref: Noel O` Grady



There was no lotto jackpot winners last week.
The Numbers drawn 5,7,18,29 the four 25 euros winners are Eanna Tiernan,Joesph Beirne Caldra,Micheal O Beirne castle street,John Finerty Aughrim.
Next weeks jackpot is 3100 Euros.