Club Notes

November 8, 2018


The celebrations are still going on in the town after the Seniors upset the Gaels in Sunday’s county final with a devastating second half performance. The 1-13 to 1-9 victory saw the club claim their first championship in 17 years and their 10th overall.

Right from the off, the side set to their task with a ferocious intensity and Daryl Martin had a goal effort saved in the opening minute.  The Stars kept going though and despite the Gaels leading 0-2 to 0-0, the difference in which team wanted the game more was clearly evident.

Despite Daire McMahon suffering a cruel injury and Sean Johnston poaching a goal, Kingscourt refused to yield. By 15 minutes, the lads trailed 1-3 to 0-1 and most people would have thought that the game was already up.

However, this team had other ideas and buoyed on by a support, more akin to an Ulster Championship match, the Stars kept to the task in hand and further frees from Barry Reilly and Ryan McCormack kept the side within touching distance. Both sides created a goal chance after but neither was taken and a further Gaels score saw them lead by 1-5 to 0-4 at halftime.

Once the second half started, Ryan McCormack narrowed the gap straight away with a free. While the Gaels registered a score themselves, Kingscourt were starting to get on top and super scores from Mossy Malone, Barry Reilly, and one of our many super-subs, Mark McKeown leveled matters at 0-10 to 1-7 as we entered the final quarter.

With Kingscourt now on top, we were awarded a penalty with 10 minutes remaining when Barry Reilly was pulled back in the box. Up stepped Ryan McCormack and he calmly slotted away the penalty, like it was a training session, to put us ahead for the first time in the match. The Gaels responded strong though and quickly narrowed the gap to 1-10 to 1-9 but that was as close as they could get.
Despite the inevitable Gaels pressure, the defence held out and further points from Ryan McCormack followed before Joe McMahon fisted over the insurance point deep in injury saw the celebrations start, and they are still ongoing…..



The club would again like to thank all the local shops, clubs, businesses and houses for their show of support before, during and after the final. There are plenty of pictures showing the level of colour around the town on the website that are well worth checking out.

When the town returns to normality later in the week the hard work starts again for everyone ahead of our return to the Ulster club scene.  We will be hosting the Donegal champions on Sun 17th October so keep the colour going and throw up some more banners and flags.

Ahead of that, the Oliver Plunkett Cup will be down at the juvenile training on Sunday morning so if any kids (or adults for that matter) want their pictures taken with the trophy please make your way to the park.   


The U-21 Championship starts next week when we play Erne Gaels (Belturbet, Redhills & Butlersbridge) in the 1st Rd on Friday 8th October @ 8pm in 3G pitch at Breffni.