Coolderry and Tullamore to contest Senior Hurling Final

November 8, 2018

Tullamore 0-13, Kilcormac/ Killoughey 0-10


Tullamore again came from behind to return to this year’s SHC final, with a three point win over Kilcormac/ Killoughey.


There wasn’t much attractive hurling in the first half. Wind-assisted K/K took an early lead and were 0-3 to 0-1 ahead when Tullamore goalkeeper Damian Fox pulled off a great save from Trevor Fletcher.


Tullamore only managed one point from play in the opening period, through Kevin Waters, while Kilcormac/ Killoughey recorded nine wides. Free-taker Trevor Fletcher hit four points (3f) as they led 0-7 to 0-3 at the interval.


The reigning champions got the perfect start to the second half with two points, and then Kilcormac/ Kiloughey were reduced to 14 men. Both team then had another player sent off.


K/K hit back witih points from Fletcher, but a ‘65’ from Shane Dooley and another score from Francis Kerrigan left it 0-9 to 0-8 with about ten minutes to go. Dooley then levelled it with a free.


Tullamore have a habit of finishing strongly, and it was the same on this occasion. Shane Dooley (f) and Jody Duffy gave them the lead and despite a free for K/ K by Eamonn Lee, ‘The Blues’ finished with scores from Dooley and Brian Hogan.


Tullamore scorers: Shane Dooley (5f, 1 ‘65’) 0-7; Kevin Waters 0-2; Francis Kerrigan, Jody Duffy, Shane Kelly and Brian Hogan 0-1 each.


Kilcormac/ Killoughey scorers: Trevor Fletcher 0-6 (4f); Joey Lynch, Ciaran Slevin, Eamonn Lee (f) and Joey Dunican 0-1 each.



Coolderry 2-23, Kinnitty 0-10  


The eagerly anticipated first Aidan Bracken Senior Hurling Championship semi-final between Coolderry and Kinnitty turned out to be a disappointingly one-sided affair.


Coolderry let their intentions be known from the throw-in, with a Damien Murray goal straight from the throw-in. They continued their relentless onslaught and five different point-scorers gave them a 1-5 to 0-1 lead.


It was quickly increased to 1-9 to 0-2, when a second goal in the 17th minute, this time by Cathal Parlon, increased the gap to 13 points. At half time, the scoreboard read 2-12 to 0-3.


The second half was a pedestrian affair, with Kinnitty never able to stage a comeback. Coolderry added to their tally with ease and got in some shooting practise ahead of their return to the final for the first time since 2006.


Coolderry scorers: Damien Murray 1-8 (4f, 1 ‘65’); Brian Carroll 0-6; Cathal Parlon 1-2; Barry Teehan 0-4; Eoin Ryan 0-2; Kevin Connolly 0-1.


Kinnitty scorers: Colm Coughlan 0-4 (3f); Odhran Kealey 0-3; Matthew McRedmond, Stephen Molloy and Justin Kinsella 0-1 each.