Credit Union County League Div 1 Rnd 6: Rathmore V Dingle Match Report

November 8, 2018

Rathbeg was the scene for the round 6 clash of Rathmore and Dingle in the Credit Union County League. The men from the west made the long journey east eager to defend their unbeaten run in the county league. A Rathmore side short 8 of the team that took to the field in the County Championship game against West Kerry two weeks earlier stood in the way of Dingle’s sixth straight win.

Rathmore’s Mark Reen got the scoreboard ticking with a point after taking a pass from Eoin Lawlor in the third minute and minutes later Lawlor himself got the second of the game. He was in the action again but this time putting the ball wide after John Buckley majestically fielded the ball in midfield and laid it off to him. Rathmore were in command in the opening minutes with Lawlor again on the ball with a great goal chance only to see the Dingle’s defence scramble to block his effort. Patrick Reen’s effort a minute later drifted the wrong side of the post and Rathmore remained just two points up. Dingles shooting in the opening exchanges was poor, kicking three wides before Brendan Kelleher managed to raise the white flag in the twelfth minute. Donal Ó Rian levelled things up after over elaboration in the Rathmore’s defence led to Brendan O’Keeffe giving away the ball. Quick ball into the Rathmore full forward line gave Patrick Reen the opportunity to put Rathmore back into the lead and a long range effort from the left footed Stephen Lehane restored Rathmore’s two point lead. Dingle were beginning to gain a foothold in midfield and the extra possession allowed them to bring the game back to parity with points from Joe Sheehy and Mikey Geaney. Dingle were unlucky not the take the lead when a goal bound effort was put around the post from Rathmore’s wing back Brendan O’Keeffe. The final few minutes of the first half saw Rathmore break forward and a long ball from midfield found Mark Reen alone in the forward line and but for poor handling he would surely have goaled but instead had to settle for a point. The last action of the half saw Lawlor put over a free from 45 metres out before Denis Sayers blew the whistle for the interval with Rathmore six points to four up.

The second half began with Lawlor extending Rathmore’s lead to three before two Mikey Geaney frees brought the lead back to the bare minimum. Poor passing and over use of the fist pass by both teams dogged the game and ensured it wasn’t going to be any great spectacle. Stephen Lehane extended Rathmore’s lead to three again with two great points from play before another Dingle pointed free left the scoreline nine points to seven with only a minute left of regulation time. Dingle were on an all out attack with Rathmore’s defence dropping deeper and deeper and they nearly paid the price as Mikey Geaney slipped in around the back in search of a vital goal only for Rathmore’s keeper Padraic McCarthy to make another one of his trademark point blank saves to keep the westerners out. The final whistle announced Dingle’s first loss in this year’s County League with the win keeping Rathmore in the hunt for the title.