November 7, 2018


The Naas second team qualified for the final of the Dowling cup with a one point win over Kilcullen after extra time.

Naas made the running with a goal in each half from Alex Maher and Aiden Begley and were four points ahead with fifteen minutes to go. Kilcullen fought back and scored five points to one for Naas in the last quarter to draw the match in injury time.

 At half-time in extra time Kilcullen led by one point. Points from Darragh Merriman and Karel N’tumba to one by John White for Kilcullen put Naas into the final by a single point.

Naas opened the scoring with a Kevin Curtis free and an Alex Maher goal after six minutes. Kilcullen replied with a Brian Bell point. Further Naas points from Paul McDermott and Kevin Curtis put Naas 1 – 3 to 0 – 1 ahead after twelve minutes. Kilcullen replied with points from Ross Coughlan (2) and Darren Barker before Alex Maher wrapped up the first half scoring with a Naas point.

At the interval Naas led 1 – 4 to 0 – 4.

Two points from Kilcullen midfielders Darren Barker and Barry Comerford reduced the arrears to a point. Good work by Kevin Curtis put Aiden Begley in for a second Naas goal at the end of the third quarter. At this stage Naas led 2 – 4 to 0 – 6. Kilcullen put in a strong last quarter with mid-fielder Comerford in fine form scoring three of his sides five points to draw level 2 – 5 to 0 – 11 to take the match to extra time.

In extra time Naas scored four points to three for Kilcullen to win by the narrowest of margins.

Naas;Luke Mullan, Stephen Ryan, Conor Gormley, Richie Ormsby, Ross Hazzard, Kevin Martin, Vinny Lanigan, Pauric Cribben, Paul McDermott (0 – 1),Aiden Begley (1 – 1), Matthew Drewett, Kevin Curtis(0 – 3), Alan Carolan, Alex Maher (1 – 2), Karel N’tumba(0 – 1). Sub : Darragh Merriman(0 – 1).

Kilcullen: Paddy Maher, Mark Brophy, Ronan Aspell, gary Kenny, Timmy Lambe,Fran Shortt, Dwayne O’Connor, Darren Barker(0 – 6),Barry Comerford(0 – 1), Brian Bel(0 – 1)l, Davy Fisher, Howard Peacock, Paul Bell, John White(0 – 1), Ross Coughlan(0 – 5.

Referee;Paddy Moore.