Dublin Reach Walsh Cup Final

November 8, 2018


A Shane Ryan point two minutes into added time saw Dublin progess to the Walsh Cup final at Parnell Park on Saturday night.
The Dubs played the entire second half with 14 men after Johnny McCaffrey was red-carded in first half injury-time.
However, the intense work-rate of the Dublin team did not drop and they were rewarded for their efforts with a morale boosting victory as they continue their preparations for the start of the Allianz League.
Dublin led 0-13 to 1-9 at the breakbut had held a six-point advantage, 0-12 to 0-6, in the 30th minute as the hosts brought a greater physicality to their game and forced the Galway defenders into turning over possession on several occasions in the opening half.
Peadar Carton hit three first half points while Conal Keaney led by example in the physical exchanges as well as converting four first half frees.
Galway’s goal arrived in the 33rd minute when a long free from Tony Og Regan was touched to the net by full-forward Eanna Ryan.
Just at the three-quarter mark Galway drew level, 0-17 to 2-11, when Iarla Tannian angled his drive to the net past Gary Maguire after he had been hooked by Stephen Hiney on the first occasion.
With 14 minutes remaining the Tribemen edged in front thanks to a Ger Farragher free and the enthusastic crowd at Parnell Park were wondering would the extra man tell over the conclusion of the game.
But Dublin lifted their game again with Ryan O’Dwyer creating and finishing a goal out of relatively nothing to see Dublin regain the lead in the 65th minute. It was short-lived though as Tannian responded with his second goal three minutes later following an excellent fetch and pass from Aongus Callanan for Galway to lead 3-13 to 1-18.
The Dubs had the last saw however with Keaney brilliantly converting a sideline and Ryan firing over the winner in the 72nd minute.

SCORERS – Dublin: C Keaney 0-8 (0-7f, 0-1sl), R O’Dwyer 1-3, S Ryan, P Carton 0-3 each, J McCaffrey 0-2 (0-1 ‘65’), C McCormack 0-1. Galway: I Tannian 2-0, G Farragher 0-5 (0-2f), E Ryan 1-2, T Og Regan 0-3 (0-3f), J Coen, N Cahalan, D Burke 0-1 each.
DUBLIN – G Maguire; S Lambert, S Hiney, R Trainor; N Corcoran, J Boland, S Durkin; J McCaffrey, M O’Brien; C McCormack, R O’Dwyer, S Ryan; D O’Callaghan, C Keaney, P Carton Subs: D Plunkett for O’Callaghan (54), D O’Dwyer for McCormack (59), R Walsh for Carton (62), L Ryan for O’Dwyer (70),
GALWAY – J Grealish; D Collins, J Lee, D Hayes; D Barry, T Og Regan, A Cullinane; N Cahalan, J Coen; G Farragher, K Kilkenny, A Smith; I Tannian, E Ryan, N Healy Subs: D Burke for K Kilkenny (44), A Callanan for Cahalan (56).
REF – B Kelly (Westmeath