Dublin snatch draw in great game

November 8, 2018

Supersub McMorrow snatches late equaliser as Dubs refuse to buckle

15 Apr 2012 |

(After extra-time)

A heroic Dublin snatched a draw from the jaws of defeat in this pulsating Allianz HL Division 1A encounter at O’Connor Park, Tullamore on Sunday afternoon.

The Dubs had both Ryan O’Dywer and Alan McCrabbe straight red-carded in the first period of extra time yet despite their numerical disadvantage they rose to the challenge with late points from subs Daire Plunkett and a Niall McMorrow ‘65’ earning Anthony Daly’s men a replay. It was just reward for a Dublin side that refused to buckle despite a number of calls going against them all afternoon.
In normal time Dublin led by three points, 2-15 to 0-18, heading into injury time before three Joe Canning points (two frees) forced extra-time. Canning had a relatively quiet opening 35 minutes but once he was liberated from full-forward he prospered further out the field.

Two minutes into extra-time Ryan O’Dwyer was shown red by ref Barry Kelly – Canning added two points (one free) to edge his side two clear and when Alan McCrabbe followed O’Dwyer off the pitch following his red card just before the half-time interval in extra-time Dublin looked in real, real trouble.

Galway led 0-24 to 2-16 with the second period of extra-time to play before Danny Sutcliffe and James Regan exchanged scores, then Jonathan Glynn and McMorrow (free) did likewise leaving the Dubs chasing a two point deficit in the final minute.

The Dubs were not done as Plunkett and McMorrow snatched a draw for Daly’s men – the replay will take place next Saturday (4.0) in Portlaoise after the meeting of Dublin and Cork in the Cadbury All-Ireland U21FC semi-final (2.0).
In normal time the opening half was very tight but the deadball accuracy of Paul Ryan had Dublin 0-9 to 0-7 in front at half-time. Ryan converted six frees and one ‘65’ in the opening 35 minutes but it was the brilliant reflexes of goalkeeper Gary Maguire who pulled off a superb double-save to deny Cyril Donnellan in the seventh minute before two minutes later foiling Damien Hayes who was in pole position to raise a green flag.

Four minutes into the second half Conor McCormack angled a drive to the net to catapult Dublin into a 1-10 to 0-8 lead but it was the Tribesmen to responded better and they had nosed in front by a point before Ross O’Carroll struck for Dublin’s second goal in the 57th minute.

Heading down the concluding minutes the Dubs were clinging determinedly to their lead before the accuracy of Canning reeled them in and forced a highly dramatic extra-time.

SCORERS – Dublin: P Ryan 0-9 (0-8f, 0-1 ‘65’), D Sutcliffe, N McMorrow (0-1f, 0-1 ‘65’) 0-3 each, C McCormack, R O’Carroll 1-0 each, S Lambert, D Treacy, J McCaffrey, A McCrabbe (0-1 ‘65’), D Plunkett 0-1 each. Galway: J Canning 0-12 (6f), N Burke 0-5 (4f), D Hayes, C Donnellan 0-2 each, D Burke, C Cooney, J Coen, J Regan, J Glynn 0-1 each.
DUBLIN – G Maguire; R Trainor, P Kelly, N Corcoran; P Schutte, J Boland, S Durkin; J McCaffrey, M Carton; C McCormack, R O’Dwyer, L Rushe; R O’Carroll, D Sutcliffe, P Ryan. Subs: S Lambert for Trainor (25), D Treacy for O’Dwyer (48), A McCrabbe for Carton (56), O Gough for Schutte (60), N McMorrow for McCormack (65); M Quilty for Boland (extra-time), O’Dwyer for McCaffrey (extra-time), D Plunkett for Ryan (76), P Carton for O’Carroll (85), E Dillon for Treacy (76).
GALWAY – F Flannery; K Hynes, D Collins, G O’Halloran; N Donoghue, F Moore, T Regan; D Burke, B Daly; C Cooney, N Burke, C Donnellan; D Glennon, J Canning, D Hayes. Subs: J Coen for Donoghue (31), I Tannian for Daly (ht), J Regan for Glennon (56), P Brehony for Cooney (59), B Burke for N Burke (68); P Shiel for Hynes (80+1), J Glynn for B Burke (85), N Burke for D Burke (89).
REF – B Kelly (Westmeath)
ATT: 4,000 (approx)