Dublin under 21's reach All Ireland Final

November 8, 2018


Dublin have reached their first All-Ireland U21FC final since 2003 after a brilliant opening put them on the road to victory in this semi-final at Kingspan Breffni Park on Saturday evening.
The Dubs will face Donegal in the decider on Saturday, May 1 (7.0) in the same Cavan venue.
It was the opening six minutes of the game which did the damage for Dublin as they raced into a 2-2 to 0-1 lead.
In the second minute David Quinn got a touch to a long delivery from Cian Mullins to goal and sandwiched between points from Barry ORorke and Ciarán Dorney was a Dean Rock penalty, following a foul on Ted Furman.
Dublin failed to score again until added time in the opening half when the pacey Nicky Devereux split the posts to lead 2-3 to 0-4 at the interval.
During the long score-free period for the Dubs their opponents began to hold sway with Donie Shine influential at midfield following his switch from full-forward.
Dublin may have had a third goal in the 18th minute but Roscommon keeper Darren OMalley did very well to deny Ted Furman from close range after good interplay by the Dublin attack.
The Dublin defence had a lucky escape when Alan OHara failed to make contact with a low ball across the face of the Dublin goal and the task for the boys in blue did not become any easier when Furman was dismissed on a second yellow card in the 41st minute.
Points quickly followed from Donie Shine, a free from 50 metres, and Darren McDermott to cut the gap to three points, 2-3 to 0-6, with 17 minutes remaining.
But crucially with Gary Sweeney to the fore Dublin broke Roscommon momentum with five points without reply over the next eight minutes.
The pace of Sweeney took him clear of the Roscommon cover for him to point off his left, half-time sub Robbie McCarthy fisted over the first of his three second half points, Cian Mullins fired over a fine point, McCarthy was put through by Devereux to score and Rock put over a free after Sweeney was fouled.
That was effectively that as the large Roscommon support began to head for the exits and Dublin were soon headed for the All-Ireland final.

SCORERS – Dublin: D Rock 1-2 (1-0 pen, 0-1f), D Quinn 1-0, R McCarthy 0-3, N Devereux, G Sweeney, B ORorke, C Mullins, C Dorney 0-1 each. Roscommon: D Shine 0-4 (0-4f), N Carty, K Higgins, C Shine, D McDermott 0-1 each.
DUBLIN – V Whelan; E Culligan, R OCarroll, D Nelson; J Cooper, S Murray, N Devereux; J McCarthy, C Mullins; C Dorney, D Rock, G Sweeney; B ORourke, D Quinn (Lucan), T Furnman. Subs: J McDermott for McCarthy (ht), M Coughlan for Dorney (ht), R McCarthy for ORorke (33), C Reddin for Quinn (57), N Brogan for N Devereux (59).
ROSCOMMON – D OMalley; P OGrady, N Collins, M Higgins; J McKeague, N Daly, E Bannon; N Carty, K Higgins ; P Garvey, C Shine, B Murtagh; N Kilroy, D Shine , D McDermott. Subs: A OHara for C Shine (20), E Kenny for B Murtagh (44), R Gleeson for N Collins (52), L OConnor for P Garvey (57).
REF – C Branagan (Down).