Dunshaughlin advance to Feis Cup Semi Final

November 8, 2018

Dunshaughlin 0-16

Blackhall Gaels 1-07

Blackhall Gaels looked like they picked up where they left off in Pairc Tailteann last Saturday night with two scores inside the opening five minutes. But this was a different Dunshaughlin performance and Martin Reilly settled the nerves on eight minutes with a converted free. A move that epitomized Dunshaughlins mood then followed when Ray Maloney pounced on a mistake by the Blackhall keeper and offloaded to Denis Kealy who steamed through to level with a point. Dunshaughlin were really up for this game and in very sector of the pitch were pressurizing the Blackhall player on the ball. Cathal O’Dwyer then put Dunshaughlin into the lead, a lead they didn’t surrender. Blackhall were finding it hard to cope with the onslaught and forfeited free which Niall Kelly and Reilly pointed with ease. Blackhall Gaels pointed in the 21st minute to reduce Dunshaughlin’s lead to two before Kelly (free), O’Dwyer and David Devereux made it 0-08 to 0-03 in favour of the Black and Ambers. Bothe teams traded frees in time added on, Martin Reilly converting after being fouled himself, leaving it 0-09 to 0-04 at the break.

Dunshaughlin were in much the same form when the second half got underway and Cathal O’Dwyer took no time to register his third point of the evening. Another Reilly free followed as the Blackhall rearguard continued to struggle with the pace of the Dunshaughlin forward unit. A constant thorn in the Blackhall side, Conor Staunton pointed just before Martin Reilly added a point from play which left Dunshaughlin leading 0-13 to 0-04. Midway through the second period, Blackhall looked down, and out, but two quick points gave them a glimmer of hope, and in the 47th minute a high hopeful ball ended up in the Dunshaughlin net, calls for a square ball went up but Blackhall were awarded the goal and with that, only trailed by four. But in reality, Dunshaughlin had been far better than the score line suggested, and the outstanding Cathal O’Dwyer steadied the ship with his fourth and Dunshaughlin’s 14th score. Kenny McTigue and Caoimhin King were masterful at the back and along with the Kealy’s Richard and Denis were affording the Blackhall attack no further opportunity to add to their goal, while at the other end Niall Kelly and Cathal O’Dwyer added two more points for Dunshaughlin as they rampaged through the Blackhall defence. The Gaels did manage a point in the 58th minute but it was a mere consolation as Dunshaughlin romped home to secure a Semi-Final berth.

This was a fine team display, but best for Dunshaughlin were Caoimhin King, Kenny McTigue, Denis Kealy, Ciaran Farrelly and Cathal O’Dwyer.

Dunshaughlin: Ronan Gogan, Tommy Johnson, Caoimhin King, Kenny McTigue, Denis Kealy (0-1), Michael Ahern, Richard Kealy, Naill Kelly (0-3, 2 frees), Raymond Maloney, Ciaran Farrelly, Trevor Dowd, Cathal O’Dwyer (0-5), Martin Reilly (0-5, 4 frees), David Devereux (0-1), Conor Staunton (0-1).

Subs: Michael Johnson for Cathal O’Dwyer