Dunshaughlins Feis Cup run ends

November 8, 2018

It took extra time to split Dunshaughlin and Senchalstown in an exciting Feis Cup Semi Final in Ashbourne on Wednesday night. Having led at half time of normal and extra time, Senchalstown finished strong winning through to a final against Dunboyne.


Senchalstown 1-13

Dunshaughlin 1-11


Dunshaughlin started well and midway through the first half led 0-3 to 0-1, three Martin Reilly frees putting Dunshaughlin in the lead early on. Reilly linked up well with Ciaran Farrelly to post the first score from play in the 27th minute but two minutes later Senchalstown reduced the difference to the minimum with a point from a well converted 45. Moving into time added at the end of the first half, the crowd in attendance in the impressive stand was treated to one of the moves of the match. Richie Kealy carried the ball out of the Dunshaughlin defense punting a fine pass to Martin Reilly. Reilly offloaded to Cathal O’Dwyer who in turn punted to the lively Conor Staunton who turned his marker and fired over the bar. Staunton’s score left Dunshaughlin leading 0-5 to 0-3 going into the break.


Dunshaughlin started the second half better, with another score from Staunton followed by a free from Niall Kelly. Leading by four, Senchalstown almost got back into the game when Ronan Gogan saved excellently and Anthony Johnson throwing himself in front of a follow up shot to ensure the Dunshaughlin goals stayed intact. But the Yellow Furze men didn’t drop there heads, and over the next five minutes got three points, two from frees, to reduce the deficit to the minimum. Another Reilly free kick gave Dunshaughlin some more breathing space, but by the midpoint of the half Senchalstown were level. Senchalstown edged ahead but Staunton leveled but in the 59th minute Senchalstown looked to have stolen the game when they pointed to lead by one. Dunshaughlin won possession and it was Reilly again who leveled with his 5th free of the night to send the game to extra time.


The first half of extra time was all Dunshaughlin and when Raymond Maloney goaled in the last minute of the first half of extra time, Dunshaughlin led by two and was in the driving seat. The goal followed a point from Conor Staunton and was in response to two points from Senchalstown. But the momentum swung back in favour of Senchalstown after the start of the second half of extra time. A long ball found its way to Brian Sheridan who finish emphatically to the Dunshaughlin net. The 2007 SFC champions added another point, but despite great efforts, Dunshaughlin couldn’t get two scores to equalize, and when the final whistle sounded, were on the wrong side of the 1-13 to 1-11 score line.


Best for Dunshaughlin were Kenny McTigue, Anthony Johnson, Ciaran Farrelly, Martin Reilly and Conor Staunton.



Team: Ronan Gogan, Michael Ahern, Kenny McTigue, Anthony Johnson, Denis Kealy, Caoimhin King, Richie Kealy, Raymond Maloney (1-0), Niall Kelly (0-1, 1 free), Ciaran Farrelly, Trevor Dowd, Cathal O’Dwyer, Conor Staunton (0-4), David Crimmins, Martin Reilly (0-6, 5 frees)

Subs: Tommy Johnson for Ahern, David Devereux for Dowd, Cillian Finn for Crimmins