EA Sports Cup – Second Round

November 7, 2018

Limerick FC Played Waterford United in the last 16 of the EA Sports Cup at home in Jackman Park on Monday afternoon. Limerick were always in control and won the game thanks to a Garbhan Coughlan goal in the 66th minute.

Chances were few and far between in the first half. Waterford did have a chance after 5 minutes when a long ball from defense saw Wilson with a one on one on the edge of the box, he tried to lob Barry Ryan in the Limerick goal but fluffed his chance, passing the ball straight into the keepers hands. Limerick were playing the better football from the start and looking comfortable in defense. Peter Hynes was causing a lot of problems for Waterford and after he was released down the left, he put in a first time cross which just evaded the onrushing O’Flynn right in front of goal.

Limerick FC were pushing hard for a goal but Waterford United rear guard were doing well to control the treat with Kenny Browne showing the way at the back for Waterford. Limerick had a couple of half chances for Hynes & Coughlan before the break, but both came to nothing. 

Limerick looked to up their game from the start of the second half and Peter Hynes scored what looked to be a perfect goal 5min into the second half, but it was disallowed for offside after good work from John Frost and Stephen O’Flynn. Limerick were in complete control now all over the park and Waterford were finding it hard for their play maker Sinnott to get anything moving through midfield. Hynes hand a great chance on 54 minutes but struck his shot just wide of the right hand upright, following good work down the left from Shane Tracy.

After 58 minutes O’Flynn received the ball on the left wing following lovely build up play from Limerick, he beat two Waterford defenders to get inside the away box, the Waterford left back pulled out of his challenge and this seemed to unbalance O’Flynn who was expecting contact and the ball went wide. Limerick and Waterford exchange bookings for Frost & Coady respectively early in the second half. Limerick brought on David O’Leary for Garvan Broughall on 60 minutes to give Limerick another lift in the middle of the park.

Limerick kept up the pressure and were rewarded on 66 minutes when John Frost found Peter Hynes who had lost his marker inside the Waterford United box, Hynes pulled the ball back to Garbhan Coughlan just outside the box and he struck first time with the inside of his right foot into the far left corner of the Waterford goal giving keeper Burns no chance in the away goal. This was no more than Limerick deserved and Pat Scully immediately substituted Jeffery Judge for Darren Coleman.

Limerick were very comfortable with Coleman and O’Leary passing well and controlling the game. Hynes came off for Paudie Quinn for the last 10 minutes and despite a couple of late Waterford frees, the Limerick defense comfortably saw out the danger. 

Limerick will be in the draw for the last 8 with Monaghan United, Shelbourne, Cork City, UCD, Sligo Rovers, St.Pats & Derry City. Limerick FC play Athlone Town in the league on Friday night, KO 7.45pm in Jackman Park. Hope to see you there.

Limerick FC: Ryan, O’Callaghan, Purcell, McCarthy, Frost, Tracy, Coughlan, Judge(Coleman 67), Broughall(O’Leary 60), O’Flynn, Hynes(Quinn 79). 
Subs not Used: Cusack, McGann, White, Brosnan. 

Waterford United: Burns, Chin, Browne, Murray, Coady, Breen, Sinnott, Quinn, Nolan(Dunphy 74), Keane, Wilson(Rafter 63). 
Subs not Used: Barrett, Carey, Long. 

Referee: Keith Kallanan

Limerick FC Man of the Match – John Frost

Attendance: 242.