Edenderry 3-05, Doon 1-09.

November 8, 2018


A hat-trick of second half goals from Edenderry’s Peter Manley earned his sides’ third brace of points in the league, in an exciting 3-05 to 1-09 victory over Doon last Saturday.

Doon opened the scoring early in this game with a well taken point from a free, which was awarded for a foul on the Doon full forward by Adrian Murphy. But Edenderry were soon on level terms when Basil Malone converted a free at the other end. Doon then hit a goal and a point from a free without reply to take a four point lead. Basil Malone responded with another free from close range, but then Doon hit three unanswered points, two from play and one from a placed ball to stretch their lead to six points. Despite playing second fiddle to Doon in the first half, Edenderry did finish the half on the attack, as Martin Keogh sent over a point from a free to leave five points between the sides at the break.

Halftime, Edenderry 0-03 Doon 1-05.

At halftime the Edenderry management made a few positional switches with Peter Manley moving to full forward, Basil Malone moving to midfield, and Colm Cummins going centre back. The switches had an immediate effect as the new full forward Peter Manley scored two excellent goals at the start of the second half, with the second goal coming as a result of an impressive move involving Martin Keogh and Johnny Hurst. Martin Keogh grabbed the next score of the game, when he sent over a great point after a swift move from Colm Byrne and Keith McGuinness. Doon then pulled a point back before Brian Quinlan was introduced for the injured Richie Dalton. Shortly after his introduction Brian Quinlan set up the third Edenderry goal, as he cut in along the Doon end-line and hand-passed to the unmarked Peter Manley, who scored his hat-trick as he palmed the ball to the back of the net. Marin Keogh then extended his side’s lead when he scored his third point of the game. Then unfortunately for Edenderry and Wayne Mooney, the referee made a huge mistake when he sent Wayne off for what he thought was a second yellow card, but in fact it was Wayne’s first card of the day. With the one man advantage Doon finished stronger, and closed out with three unanswered points to leave two between the teams at the finish.

This was an excellent game of football to watch, with both sides showing huge determination on the day. But Edenderry must be commended for their excellent second half performance. They looked like a beaten team at halftime, but with the switches made, they really took the game to Doon. After such a poor first half display its hard to say anyone played really well, while in contrast the opposite is true for the second half, where every player gave everything they had for the red jersey. Some of Edenderry’s better performers on the day were Sean Pender, Colm Byrne, Colm Cummins, Basil Malone, Martin Keogh, Stephen Murphy, and of course Peter Manley who scored the all important hat-trick when he moved to full forward.

Edenderry’s next game in the league will be against Raheen on Friday 3rd April in Geashill at 7.30pm.

Team: Colin McNamara; Johnny Blong, Adrian Murphy, Sean Pender; Colm Byrne, Peter Manley (3-0), Wayne Mooney; Colm Cummins, Richie Dalton; Johnny Hurst, Martin Keogh (0-3), Stephen Murphy; Keith McGuinness, Adrian Mahon, Basil Malone (0-2).

Substitutes: Brian Quinlan, Glen Dolan, Lee McDermott, Brendan McCabe.

Referee: M. Kirwan