FAI Ford Cup Fourth Round Replay

November 7, 2018

Match Sponsor

FAI Ford Cup Fourth Round Replay

Limerick FC  0 – 0  Sporting Fingal  (AET)

Sporting Fingal win 4 – 3 on penalties

Limerick Penalty Scorers: Stephen O’Flynn, Pat Purcell, Thomas Lyons

Monday 30th August 2010

The holders prevail by the skin of their teeth from a penalty shootout after a classic cup tie at Jackman Park on Monday night.

Sporting took control of the game from the off with precision passing and some fantastic football, Eamonn Zayed showing off his ability in the early stages with some excellent touches.

Limerick’s main threat appeared to be ex-Cork City winger Timmy Kiely. His speed and direction seemed to cause unrest among the Fingal backline. However the first chance fell to Fingal’s captain Shaun Williams, who had his volley just dip too late to trouble Dave Ryan.

The game became more open as it went on, with Limerick looking menacing and playing some premier standard football of their own. With John Tierney’s pace, anything seemed possible for the home side.

The best chance of the first half fell to Ronan Finn who was unmarked in the six yard box. His bullet header was saved somehow by the Limerick stopper. An amazing save to say the least, from very close range.

Tierney once more was the threat for Lims as his speed and trickery was too much for John Frost. He side stepped him, but was unable to strike at goal.

As the second half began Limerick ventured forward a bit more, with Shane Clarke coming close. However, Limerick’s attacking menace was soon to be halted as seventeen year old Lee O’Mara was sent off for two bookable offences. Limerick knew counter attack would be the order of the day.

Stephen O’Flynn came on half way through the second half, and found it hard as the lone striker, surrounded by 2 and 3 Fingal defenders when receiving the ball. O’Flynn had a couple of half chances that he worked for himself but was unable to convert. Once again, John Tierney would have to lead Limerick’s charge for a goal.

Late on Tierney took a strike from all of thirty yards. It appeared goalbound, only the crossbar stood in the way of Limerick getting the breakthrough. Remarkably, the rebound fell to Shane Clarke, who somehow managed to miss the target from right under the frame of the goal. Heartbreak for the very vocal home crowd.

The match went into extra time with both sets of players appearing jaded. The best chance of the first period of extra time fell once more to Fingal’s playmaker, Ronan Finn. Only one outcome appeared possible as he closed in on goal. Surprisingly the ball went straight into the side netting and Limerick were let off the hook.

A shootout was to decide this fourth round cup tie. With all of the first six penalties scored, Timmy Kiely stepped up. His spot kick was saved by Quigley and was answered by Shaun Williams converting. Sean Kelly sent his penalty over the bar as the cup holders progress to face St Pat’s at Inchicore in the quarter finals.

Limerick: Ryan, O’Mara, Purcell, White, Kelly, Kiely, Sullivan, Judge (Stanley 101), Coughlan (O’Flynn 58), Tierney, Clarke (Lyons 65).
Unused Subs: McGuinness, Bhandarkar, O’Callaghan.

Sporting Fingal: Quigley, Browne, Frost, Hawkins, Maher, Byrne (Crowe 106), Finn, McFaul (Cahill 76), Williams, Zayed (Kirby 92), O’Neill.
Unused Subs: Clarke, Gannon, Fitzgerald, James.

Referee: Anthony Buttimer.

Attendance: 625 (approx.)