Glenroe News

November 8, 2018

Important win for Intermediates
Glenroe were lucky to grind out a win over Caherline in the second round of the County Championship, played in Knocklong on Friday evening last. They were defeated by Hospital/Herbertstown in the first round. This was an important victory in that it ensures that Glenroe now have a reasonable chance of reaching the quarter final stages provided that they can account for Newcastlewest in the third round. For some reason Glenroe were lethargic throughout the game and in no way displayed the same standard of hurling which they showed in a recent challenge game against Mungret.
Glenroe 2-7 Caherline 0-11
Caherline opened the scoring with a point from a 55m free in the 1st min. John Quane responded with a point from play in the 4th min. Eoin Walsh won possession of the ball and broke through the Caherline defence to score a goal to give Glenroe the lead in the 7th min. Fouling by the Glenroe backs conceded two points to the opposition from close-range frees. They added a point from play to put the teams back on level terms by the 18th min. Glenroe came more into the game in the second quarter and scored three points from play (one each by Declan O’Connor, John Quane and Stephen Walsh). Both teams exchanged points from frees in  the final few minutes of the first half to leave Glenroe leading by 1-5 to 0-5 having played with the advantage of a stiff breeze.
The conceding of a soft free within 30 seconds of play resuming gifted Caherline the chance to add a further point to their score, which their accurate free-taker, Donnacha O’Loughlin, easily converted.    
They scored a further point from play in the 31st min. to reduce the margin to a point. Glenroe introduced three substitutes over the following ten minutes (Justin McCarthy, Donal Kelly and Maurice Kelly for Philip Coffey, Mike Mansell and DJ Sheehy respectively). Mark O’Connell pointed from a 25m free at the three quarter stage. Caherline scored four points in succession, three of them from frees, to lead by 0-11 to 1-6 at the 55th min stage. The game appeared to have gone from Glenroe at this stage. However, lady luck came Glenroe’s way one minute later when a free on the 50m line taken by Mark O’Connell, ended up with the Caherline goalie crossing his own goal-line with the ball to concede a goal. Glenroe responded well to this score and a free on the 50m line was scored by Mark O’Connell in the final minute to give Glenroe a two point advantage at the final whistle.
Glenroe as a team played poorly in this game and were relieved to see victory at the end. The conceding of silly fouls gifted eight points to Caherline. Kevin Hickey played well in goal and brought off an important save at a critical stage in the game. Stephen Fox, Johnny Murphy, Mike O’Brien and Stephen Walsh played well in defence. The battles at centre-field and in the forward line were mainly lost throughout the hour, with Eoin Walsh offering the biggest threat at corner forward. The scores by Mark O’Connell, making his first championship appearance at intermediate level, were crucial in sealing the victory at the end of the game.     
Team & Scorers
K Hickey, S Fox, J Murphy, P Coffey, S Walsh (0-1), M O’Brien, D McCarthy, JB Murphy, J Quane (0-2), M O’Connell (1-2), T Crawford, DJ Sheehy , M Mansell, D O’Connor (0-1), E Walsh (1-1; 0-1 from free)
J McCarthy for P Coffey (32nd min.); D Kelly for M Mansell (44th min.); M Kelly for D J Sheehy (44th min.); G Casey for D McCarthy (57th min.).