Highmoss Dig Deep to Extend Winning Run

November 7, 2018

Sarsfields 4-10 Carrickcruppen 2-06
Sarsfields were keen to keep their winning run going and early on they were in control. Using the wind advantage Paul and Eamon McGeown knocked over points from play and Richie Stevenson pointed a free to put the Highmoss three up. Carrickcruppen’s first point, a handy chance came from a Sarsfields defensive error when they looked to have taken possession. Paul McGaughey sent over a great point, but Sarsfields were wasting chances by taking on long range shots, but the wind assistance wasn’t compensating for poor shooting. This was brought home when a Cruppen goal against the run of play left the home side with nothing to show for their dominance. The goal came from a speculative long ball and the Cruppen forward did enough to knock the ball past the Highmoss keeper who looked to be favourite to collect the ball. The teams exchanged a couple of points, with Paul McGaughey scoring from play and Richie Stevenson scoring from the dead ball. Sarsfields had a goal chance when Paul McGeown fisted a ball just wide of the post, but it was clear he was giving his marker a hard time. As half time approached, Cruppen edged ahead for the first time in the match. They added to this advantage with a goal a moment later and a further point made it 1-03 in four minutes. Sarsfields were very much on the back foot, having led by three and now being behind by five. To make matters worse Sarsfields were going to have to play the second half into the wind. In injury time a superb goal from Paul McGeown gave Sarsfields some hope. There had been good work from Eamon McGeown in carrying the ball forward and Richie Stevenson had delivered the pass to Paul, but it took a great shot to find the corner of the net from the acute angle. There was no doubt that there was a lot of work to be done in the second half.
Sarsfields pulled a point back through Paul McGaughey and moments later Paul McGeown escaped the close eye of his marker to win possession on the end line and hit his second goal of the match, again from a very acute angle. Sarsfields now led by two and what was very visible was that their work rate had increased considerably. Cruppen were finding all avenues forward blocked and were being dispossessed and forced backwards. Declan Breen was unlucky to see a shot on goal blaze wide after Eimeíd Murray had knocked a ball down to him. Cruppen had a couple of wides and were denied a goal by a great save from Darran McAvoy. Having frustrated the Cruppen attack Sarsfields pushed forward and when Richie Stevenson was fouled in the square Paul McGeown stepped up to beat the visiting keeper for the third time. Increasing in confidence Sarsfields kept the pressure on the visitors. Thomas McAlinden who had just come on was rewarded for following in on a ball on top of the keeper. When the keeper failed to keep possession Tommy side footed the ball to the Cruppen net. Tommy added a further two points to make it a very successful return to the senior side for him. Eamon McGeown hit over the final Highmoss point and it had been well deserved given his work rate. Carrickcruppen knocked over and injury time point, their only score of the second half.

Sarsfields Team Darran McAvoy Peter Stevenson, Paul Magee, Ciaran Kerr Eoin Murray, Darren Breen, Mark Reynolds Brian Lavery, Eamon McGeown (0-02) Aidan Haughian, Paul McGaughey (0-03), Eimeíd Murray Niall Kerr, Paul McGeown (3-01), Richie Stevenson (0-02) Subs used Declan Breen for Darren Breen, Thomas McAlinden (1-02) for Niall Kerr, Brian Kerr for Aidan Haughian, Dara O’Hanlon for Eoin Murray