Hurlers Defeat Ballinamere

November 8, 2018


A goal from Cillian Farrell, and a point from Sean Og Farrell in the dying minutes of this Junior Hurling Championship game snatched an unlikely victory against Ballinamere last Saturday evening in Edenderry. This win seals Edenderry’s position as table-toppers in Group 1 of the Championship, and gives them a great chance of a place in the semi-final, depending on the draw.

Ballinamere opened the scoring in the match with a well taken point by their centre-forward from a 65 metre free. Edenderry were soon level when Jason Carey scored an excellent point after a solo run. Sean Og Farrell then put ‘The Reds’ in front with a good point, but the lead didn’t last long as Ballinamere’s centre-forward pointed his second free. Then Edenderry really took control of the game, as they went on to score seven unanswered points to put them in a commanding lead. Sean Og Farrell scored the first of the seven with a well taken point. Ger Hanlon then scored a point from a free which was awarded for a foul on Sean Og Farrell. Martin Keogh scored an excellent point, before Ger Hanlon scored three points in a row, the first came from a good Sean Og Farrell pass, the second came after good play by Paul Hanlon and Tom Fay, while the third was a pin-point shot from a 65 metre free. Edenderry’s big full-forward Shane Connell then got his name on the scoresheet, after a pass from Martin Keogh. Ballinamere then stopped the rot when their centre-forward sent over his third point from a free. Cillian Farrell was then introduced into the action at wing-back in place of Jonathan Geraghty, with Stephen Murphy going into the corner-back position. The last score of the half went to Edenderry when Jason Carey scored his second point of the game, after being set-up by the Hanlon brothers Podge & Rodge.

Halftime, Edenderry 0-10 Ballinamere 0-03.

Edenderry opened the scoring in the second half, when Ger Hanlon scored a very good point after a pass from substitute Cillian Farrell. Ballinamere then got a huge boost when former Offaly star Michael Duignan rattled the Edenderry net to reduce the lead to five points. Edenderry scored the next point when Sean Og Farrell sent over a good score, after good play from Martin Keogh. Ballinamere then hit three points in a row, two points from frees and one from play by Michael Duignan. Edenderry were forced into another change, this time Bill Glennon came in for the injured Cillian Farrell. Ballinamere then added a goal from Michael Duignan, followed by two more points to take the lead near the end, and it looked like they might close out this game. But Edenderry didn’t read the script, as they re-introduced Cillian Farrell at corner-forward in place of Paul Hanlon. Within moments of Cillian’s introduction, he went highest to win possession, and he turned despite Ballinamere defenders pulling and dragging, and he then buried the ball to the back of the net to put his side back in front by a point. Edenderry sealed victory when Sean Og Farrell sent over a great point, after a good ball from Bill Glennon.

This result means four wins out of four for Edenderry, and they top the table with a maximum of eight points, after earlier victories over Seir Kieran, Kilcormac/Killoughey and Drumcullen. It is expected that the Hurling draw for the knockout stages will take place this weekend.

Team: Derek Egan; Jonathan Geraghty, Enda Bagnall, Conleth Carey; Stephen Murphy, Eoghan Kelly, Tom Fay; Martin Keogh (0-1), Paul Glennon; Ger Hanlon (0-5), Sean Og Farrell (0-4), Jason Carey (0-2); Paul Hanlon, Shane Connell (0-1), David Hanlon.

Subs used: Cillian Farrell (1-0), Bill Glennon.

Referee: Martin Carthy.