Hurlers Defeat Drumcullen

November 8, 2018


On Sunday evening Edenderry hurlers traveled to Rath to take on Drumcullen in the third round of the Junior Hurling Championship. After an excellent display from ‘The Reds’, they ran out winners by nine points, to guarantee their place in the knock-out stages of the championship.

Edenderry had the best possible start when Shane Connell had the ball in the Drumcullen net, after their full-back missed the ball completely and Shane gladly took possession, turned and finished past the goalie. Drumcullen responded well, scoring a point from a free awarded for a chop by an Edenderry defender. They followed that point with a goal, after a Drumcullen forward easily got through the Edenderry defence, and sent a low shot past the advancing Brendan McCabe. Edenderry then leveled the scoring when centre-back Eoin Kelly, won possession and gave a brilliant diagonal pass to the unmarked Sean Og Farrell, who sent over a good point. Sean Og then put Edenderry in front with another good point, before Cillian Farrell smashed a free to the back of the net, after the referee awarded the free for a chop by a defender on Sean Og Farrell. Cillian Farrell then scored two points in a row, before Shane Connell grabbed his second goal of the game, after he was quickest to the rebound from a Cillian Farrell free. Drumcullen then scored a point, but it could have been a goal, only for Brendan McCabe advancing quickly, and rushing the forward into taking his point. Drumcullen finished the half with another point from a 65 metre free, after good work from Brendan McCabe and Jonathon Geraghty prevented a goal at the expense of a 65′.

Halftime, Edenderry 3-04 Drumcullen 1-03.

At the start of the second half, both teams were reduced to 14 men, when the referee awarded a straight red card to Shane Kelly and the Drumcullen no. 9 for an off the ball tussle. Drumcullen opened the scoring in the second half, when Brendan McCabe tipped the ball over the bar, from a shot heading for the roof of the net. Sean Og Farrell then scored a brilliant point for Edenderry, before Derek Egan came into the action in place of Ger Hanlon. Cillian Farrell then scored two points from frees, which were awarded for fouls on Paul Glennon and Derek Egan. Drumcullen then pulled back two points, one excellent score from play and one from a free. Jason Carey then replaced David Hanlon at corner-forward, before Sean Og Farrell scored a point, after great work from Shane Connell and Jason Carey. Edenderry made a double substitution with John Paul Brennan and Bill Glennon coming on in place of Stephen Murphy and Paul Hanlon respectively. Martin Keogh then scored a brilliant point for Edenderry’s last score, after his midfield partner Paul Glennon made a great catch from a Drumcullen puck out.

Edenderry had some excellent performances from Brendan McCabe, Jonathon Geraghty, Eoin Kelly, Paul Glennon, Sean Og Farrell, David Hanlon and Paul Hanlon. Edenderry next game will be at home to Ballinamere. Date and time have yet to be fixed.

Team: Brendan McCabe; Jonathan Geraghty, Enda Bagnall, Tom Fay; Stephen Murphy, Eoin Kelly, Shane Kelly; Martin Keogh (0-1), Paul Glennon; Sean Og Farrell (0-4), Cillian Farrell (1-5), Ger Hanlon; David Hanlon, Shane Connell (2-0), Paul Hanlon.

Substitutes: Derek Egan, Jason Carey, John Paul Brennan and Bill Glennon.

Referee: Tony Carroll.