Hurlers march on to Leinster Final

November 8, 2018

Edenderry 2-14
Sarsfields 3-07

Edenderry Junior Hurlers overcome torrid conditions and a determined Sarsfields team to reach the Leinster Final.

At Newbridge on Sunday last, Edenderry battled the appalling conditions to beat Sarsfields and reach the final of the Leinster Special JHC on Dec 6th.

Edenderry started brightly and went in front with a point from Sean Og Farrell after 2 minutes. This was followed by an excellent score on 4 minutes from Bill Glennon after good work from Martin Keogh and Matt Moore. Sarsfields reduced the arrears with a good point from play.

Further scores from Killian Farrell (free) and Sean Og Farrell increased Edenderry’s lead to 3 points. The next score was probably the score of the game as Ger Hanlon took a short sideline to Killian Farrell who sidestepped his marker and drove the ball over the bar from 45 metres from close to the sideline.

Disaster then followed when a cross from the left corner forward wasn’t dealt with by the Edenderry defence and was finished to the net by Sarsfields. Two minutes later a long ball into the Edenderry square was only cleared to the 13 metre line and a Sarsfields forward drove the ball to the net.

Edenderry settled and scored three points from frees by Killian Farrell to retake the lead, however three scores by Sarsfields, two of them from dubious frees awarded by the referee, saw them lead by two points at half time on a scoreline of 2-04 to 0-08.

At half time the wind increased in strength and a heavy shower started which continued well into the second half. The Edenderry players took full advantage of the strong wind at their backs and outscored Sarsfields by 5 points to 1 in the first quarter of the second half to lead by 2 points. The Edenderry scorers were Killian Farrell (3 frees), Martin Keogh with an excellent score from play and a Sean Og Farrell point from play.

With Edenderry very much on top, disaster struck again when on 17 minutes a long shot from midfield was deflected to the net off the hurl of Edenderry keeper Brendan McCabe. Edenderry refused to lie down and with the next score vital Bill Glennon popped up to finish bravely to the net following a wonderful save by the Sarsfields keeper after Ger Hanlon had shot low across the goalmouth. On 23 minutes Edenderry struck again, this time a wonderful long pass by Killian Farrell dropped on the 13 metre line. Sean Og Farrell allowed the ball to drop over his shoulder before rifling it low past the keeper to the back of the net.

Sarsfields rallied but between the 23rd and 30th minute despite extreme pressure they only managed one point thanks mainly to the resolute defending by Brendan McCabe and the Edenderry defence. A pointed free from Killian Farrell in the 30th minute allowed Edenderry to breathe easier during added time. Sarsfields finished the scoring with a free in the 5th minute of added time to leave the scoreline Edenderry 2-14 Sarfields 3-07.

This was a fantastic victory for Edenderry with excellent performances throughout the field including Conleth Carey, Tom Fay, Eoin Kelly and David Hanlon in defence. Shane Connell and Martin Keogh were very solid in midfield, while Killian, Sean Og, Matt Moore and Bill Glennon were outstanding in attack.

Team: B McCabe, T Fay, C Carey, S Kelly, D Egan, E Kelly, D Hanlon, S Connell, M Keogh (0-1), G Hanlon, K Farrell(0-9), S Og Farrell(1-3), J Carey, M Moore, B Glennon(1-1). Sub used: E Bagnall.

The final has been fixed for Sunday Dec 6th with Edenderry’s opponents having home advantage.