Hurlers win in Leinster League again

November 8, 2018

In a great game played in a good spirit both teams will take away the positives. The Reds will be delighted with another 2 points while the new Dublin Club will be delighted with a strong performance. All credit to Referee Martin Carty who let the game flow and there wasn’t a bad stroke in the game.

The game which was played on a well prepared pitch and in nice sunshine was entertaining from start to finish. Both teams exchanged early scores before the Reds began to pull away and built up a lead of 0-04 to 0-01. Edenderry then lost Shane Kelly who sustained a bad knock to the head which left him with a bout of concussion. Edenderry then failed to score before the break and Reált Dearg had their strongest spell scoring 1-2 without return to leave the half time score 1-3 to 0-4.

Due to a clash with a football game in Ballyfore Thomas Fay, Jason Carey and P Mangan had to leave at half time. This led to the introduction of 3 Edenderry players, Gary Blong, Mark Young and Cillian Farrell. Edenderry then entered their best spell of play, when they patiently took their points and reduced the lead of the Dublin Club and took the front. Cillian Farrells experience paid dividends and he chipped in with some scores as did Paul Hanlon and Bill Glennon. Strong full back play by Shane Connell and Paddy McCarty kept the Dubs out while Stephen Murphy, Rodge Hanlon and David Egan were very strong in the half back line. Our midfield of Paul Hanlon and Paul Gizmo Glennon were on top.

Despite a strong finish by Realt Dearg the Reds held out for a nail biting one point win.

The Reds now play St. Fechins of Louth in the final game away on the 9th of April and are strongly positioned for a top placed finish.

TEAM: B. McCabe, P. McCarthy, S. Connell, T. Fay, D. Egan, D. Hanlon, S. Murphy, P. Hanlon, P. Glennon, J. Carey, G. Hanlon, D. Ryan, P. Mangan, G. Noonan, S. Kelly.

Bill Glennon for S. Kelly
G. Blong for T. Fay
M. Young for J. Carey
C. Farrell for P. Mangan