IFC: Clonmore 2-6 Myshall 0-11

November 8, 2018

This was a tense and tight battle from begining to end with Myshall opening brightly to score the first two points before Clonmore settling into the game. Then Clonmore hit a purple patch between the 5th and 22nd minutes – putting together some lovely passing moves to score 1-4 without reply.The goal was a well taken effort by Niall Humphries after Gavin Byrne dispossessed his marker, the formidable John Michael Nolan. Pauric Lawlor was playing well at centre forward and scored two excellent points. Con, Niall and Gavin added vital one pointers to leave us leading 1-5 to 0-3 at half-time.

The first half was characterised by Clonmore's determination to fight for every ball and to give as good as they got in the face of the usual strong physical challenge from the Myshall men. Collie McGrath in goal deserves a mention for some timely and brave interventions.

As is to be expected from a Myshall team, they came out with all guns blazing in the second half and scored four unanswered points to reduce our lead to the minimum – 1-5 to 0-7 on 35 minutes. Then enter Niall Humphries who scored another cracking goal high into the roof of the net in the 44th minute to settle the nerves. Niall had an excellent game, getting out in front of his man all night, but was lucky to escape with a yellow card in the 50th minute when a mistimed tackle "clothes lined" an opponent.

Myshall were quick to kop on to Clonmore's short kick-out tactic and twice intercepted to score points – on each occasion we were lucky not to concede goals – and the score on 50 mins was 2-5 to 0-9. A Gavin free put us 3 points up again and from there to the end it was the usual nail biting stuff. Myshall scored two more frees to leave just one point between the teams. The Referee played almost 5 minutes injury time which added to the tension but the Clonmore lads tackled as if their lives depended on it and moved the ball out of defence in slick passing movments to repel wave after wave of Myshall attacks. While the forwards took the plaudits in the first half, the second half belonged to the backs as they ensured that no way were Myshall going to get through for a goal.

Overall it was a great team performance with all 19 lads playing their hearts out and the club can be very proud of them – not just for their skill and football ability but for their sheer determination and bravery and most importantly, their exemplary behaviour and discipline.

The next game is against O'Hanrahans in Tullow at 7.30pm on Friday, 7 August, followed by Ballon on Friday, 28 August.

Team: Collie McGrath, Willie Byrne, Anthony Byrne, Paul Hogan,David McCarney, Shane Murphy, Bobby Rooney, Gavin Byrne (0-2,1f), Alan Humphries, Paddy Gahan, Pauric Lawlor (0-2), Enda McGrath, Con Murphy (0-1), Niall Humphries (2-1), David Mulvany. Subs: Kevin McCarney for Alan, Ronan Doyle for Pauric, Jordan Kane for Willie, John Kelly for Bobby.

PHOTO: The win over Myshall was an all-round team effort and it would be unfair to single out any individual. Well done to all the players involved.