IFC Fenagh 2-10 Clonmore 1-10

November 8, 2018

Another night of hreartbreak and "what might have beens" for Clonmore as our Intermediates bowed out of the Championship after an almighty battle with reigning champions Fenagh.

The first half was a nightmare for Clonmore as we struggled at midfield and Fenagh's full-forward line ran amok with no.14, James Kinsella, scoring 2-2 and no.13, Craig Wall (0-4) to leave us trailing 2-8 to 1-4 at half-time. In fairness to the Selectors, they made some big changes at half-time and the players raised their game and ran themselves into the ground in the second half to get within one point (2-8 to 1-10) on 48 minutes but that elusive equaliser wouldn't come.

Fenagh opened the scoring with a free by Kinsella which was equalised by Gavin Byrne after Andrew Byrne had made a good run inside the defence and could have shot for goal himself but laid it off to his more experienced cousin. Fenagh went 0-3 to 0-1 up with two points from Wall but Shane McGrath and Niall Humphries kicked excellent points for Clonmore to level the scores at 0-3 apiece on 11 minutes. Then Fenagh took over completely and scored 1-4 without reply to lead by 1-7 to 0-3 on 26 minutes.

Niall Humphries briefly lifted the Clonmore spirits approaching half-time when he scored a brilliant goal, firing low and hard to the bottom corner, but almost immediately Fenagh scored 1-1 of their own. A well taken point from Con Murphy on the stroke of HT left the score 2-8 to 1-4 at the break.

At half-time, substitutes PJ Byrne, Shane Murphy and Owen Coleman entered the fray with Shane McGrath moving to centre-forward and Gavin Byrne to midfield. There was an immediate improvement in Clonmore's play as Fenagh's midfield dominance was curtailed and we started to get more ball into our forwards. Driven on by huge performances from David Mulvany, Shane McGrath, Gavin Byrne, Ronan Doyle, Shane Murphy and Con Murphy, we scored six unanswered points by Niall, Owen, Adam, PJ and Con (2,1f) to bring us to within one point, 2-8 to 1-10 on 48 minutes.

Sensing defeat, Fenagh went into blanket defence mode and it became increasingly difficult for the Clonmore forwards to find space for a clean shot. Chances for an equaliser came but we were always shooting under pressure and from bad angles. Con's last point could have been a goal but he did well to get a shot in at all. He later hit the post with a shot for a point. As we threw everything into attack, the inevitable happened and Fenagh broke away for two late scores in the 57th and 64th minutes to leave the final score 2-10 to 1-10.

A frustrating night for Clonmore but the players showed admirable fighting spirit and put together some great, fast moving football in the second half. It was a sad end to a season where so much time and effort was put into training and preparations by players and mentors.

St Andrews, who we beat earlier in the C'ship, have topped the Group having beaten the Blues on Thursday (1-9 to 1-7) and they go straight to the semi-final. We now face Grange in a relegation play-off on Friday 26 September at 8pm in the Training Cente, Fenagh.

Team: Paddy Byrne, Andrew Byrne, John Kelly, Willie Byrne, Paddy Gahan, Ronan Doyle, Anthony Byrne, David Mulvany Con Murphy (0-3,1f), Paul Byrne, Collie McGrath, Adam Byrne (0-1), Niall Humphries (1-2), Shane McGrath (0-1), Gavin Byrne (0-1). Subs: Shane Murphy for Willie (HT), Owen (Coleman 0-1) for Collie (HT), PJ Byrne (0-1) for Paul (HT), Pauric Lawlor for Andrew (50mins).

PHOTO: David Mulvany had one his best games for Clonmore against Fenagh. Showing great leadership and determination he was at the heart of everything good about our spirited second half comeback. He also took two heavy tackles into the back which required lenghty treatment. On neither occasion did the Referee, Brian Deering, issue a yellow card and on the second incident he actually gave a free to Fenagh. Bizarre refereeing to say the least. Well done to David for putting in such an outstanding display in those difficult circumstances.