Intermediate team bow out of O'Mara Cup. The Neale 1-11 Mayo Gaels 0-11

November 8, 2018

Intermediate team bow out of O’Mara Cup. The Neale 1-11 Mayo Gaels 0-11

Our intermediate teams interest in the O’Mara Cup ended in Cong on Sunday morning when they lost an entertaining game to The Neale. The Neale started brightly with a free in the opening minute. The Gaels had a great goal chance when Jonathan Griffin’s defence splitting pass put Mally Byrne through after four minutes but his effort was well saved. The same player responded well when he landed a free after Danny Burke was fouled and then kicked a good point on the run from play. The Neale took over for the next twenty minutes and started the ball rolling with a free before landing four unanswered points from play to leave them 0-6 to 0-2 clear. The Gaels responded with two points from play by the raiding Shane Vahey and Alan Morris after he was setup by Mally Byrne. The Neale broke up field and landed a point from play. The Gaels looked to have got themselves back in the game just before halftime with two fine points from play by Mally Byrne and Danny Burke but the homeside struck for the decisive score of the game in the final minute of the half with a goal after a Gaels move broke down in midfield. This left the locals four clear at the break 1-7 to 0-6.

Mally Byrne started the second half where he left off in the first with two points from play to cut the gap to the minimum. A second goal for the locals seemed on the cards only for a fine save by stand in goalie Stephen Murphy. The Neale pounced on the rebound to land a point. Danny Burke feed Niall Brett for a Gaels score from play to leave the score 1-8 to 0-9. The Neale then pushed for home but two further fines saves from the Gaels goalie keep them at bay but they did land two points from play to restore their four point lead. The Gaels pushed forward in search of a goal that would get them back into the game in the final minutes but could only manage two points from play by veterans James Fallon and Adrian Heneghan after good work by Jonathan Griffin and Kevin Burke. The Neale had the final say with a point from a free to leave the final score The Neale 1-11 Mayo Gaels 0-11. A much improved performance from last week. They now have three weeks to prepare for the opening league game away to Louisburgh.
Mayo Gaels team: Stephen Murphy, Allyn Brett, Stuart McLoughlin, Noel Quinn, John Sloyan, Adrian Heneghan (0-1), Shane Vahey (0-1), Paul Walsh, Sean Boyle, Mally Byrne (0-5, 1f), Niall Brett (0-1), Alan Morris (0-1), Jonathan Griffin, James Fallon (0-1), Danny Burke(0-1). Subs. Kevin Burke for Alan Morris, David Wilson for Niall Brett.