Intermediate team defeated by Parke. Mayo Gaels 2-3 Parke 1-9

November 8, 2018

Mayo Gaels 2-3 Parke 1-9

Our intermediate team suffered a disappointing second home league defeat when they were beaten by three points by Parke in Abbey Park on Saturday evening. Mayo Gaels were under pressure right from the start of this Div 1C league matchup. Parke had a goal chance from the throw-in but the ball came back off the post.  Four unanswered points followed, including one from a sideline. It wasn’t until the sixteenth minute before we chalked up our first score. A fine pass by Sean Boyle put Mally Byrne through and he made no mistake. Noel Quinn, under some pressure, received a yellow card and was replaced by Aidan Jennings. Then on twenty three minutes, an excellent pass through the middle by Danny Burke found Shane Lyons. Shane took a couple of touches and drove the ball into the top-right of the Parke net. Parke rallied over the next ten minutes and scored two more points. Then, four minutes into additional time Parke hit a decisive blow. Gaining possession in midfield they worked the ball through the middle with multiple hand passes and finished the move with the ball in the Mayo Gaels net. The referee blew the half-time whistle leaving the score at Mayo Gaels 1-1 Parke 1-6.
The second half started lively enough with both sides trading scores. Parke scored first from a free kick, which was followed by a Danny Burke free kick. Noel Quinn was re-introduced for John Sloyan just before Parke scored from another free kick in the seventeenth minute. Mally Byrne replied with a free of his own.  Johnny Morrin was introduced in the nineteenth minute while the Gaels were increasing the pressure. They were unlucky to see the ball come back off the Parke crossbar and two minutes later Parke scored their last point of the game. With time running out we had to push for some scores and a long ball by Joe Walsh was worked through the hands of James Fallon and Shane Vahey until it came to Danny Burke. Danny finished to the net with style. Alan Morris came on for Neil McGurrin. The Gaels made one final push for the equalizing score and a shot from James Fallon was saved by the Parke keeper. That was the last move of the game as the referee blew the whistle. The final score was Mayo Gaels 2-3 Parke 1-9.
Mayo Gaels: Paul Mannion, Noel Quinn, Fintan Canavan, Allyn Brett, John Sloyan, Joe Walsh, Shane Vahey, Paul Walsh (C), Sean Boyle, Shane Lyons (1-0), Niall Brett, Neill McGurrin, Mally Byrne (0-2, 1f), James Fallon, Danny Burke (1-1, 1f). Subs: Aidan Jennings for Noel Quinn, Noel Quinn for John Sloyan, Alan Morris for Neil McGurrin.