Intermediate team lose out in championship first round. Bonniconlon 1-10 Mayo Gaels 1-7

November 8, 2018

Bonniconlon 1-10 Mayo Gaels 1-7

A wasteful first half when they failed to convert their possession dominance into scores ultimately cost our intermediate team the game away to Bonniconlon on Sunday afternoon. The Bonniconlon opened the scoring with a point from play from the throw in. The Gaels enjoyed their best spell of the game in the next fifteen minutes when they hit four points in a row to open a three point lead. Mallie Byrne got the ball rolling with a point from play after fine work by Adrian Heneghan and Jonathan Morrin. A good ball from Cathal Vahey saw Damien Quinn fouled and Danny Burke pointed the resultant free. Damien Quinn was again fouled after ten minutes and this time Mallie Byrne converted. Cathal Vahey then kicked a fine point from play after being set up by Danny Burke to leave the Gaels 0-1 to 0-4 ahead. The Gaels had many other chances during the next fifteen minutes but failed to convert the chances. The half ended with the sides swapping frees. The Gaels score came from Danny Burke after he was fouled to leave the half time score 0-2 to 0-5 in favour of the Gaels.

Bonniconlon flew out the traps at the start of the second half and levelled the game inside ten minutes with two frees and a point from play. They struck a killer blow after thirteen minutes when they waltzed through the Gaels defence and anyone of three could have scored the goal despite two brave saves from goalie Paul Mannion. They added another free after sixteen minutes to stretch their lead to four. Things looked bleak for the Gaels but to their credit they kept fighting and managed to register a goal after twenty minutes. A good run by Danny Burke saw him finish to the net after a one two with Jonathan Griffin to leave one between the sides, 1-6 to 1-5.

The game was now up for grabs and it was Bonniconlon who took the initiative with three scores in a row to lead by four. The Gaels again fought back and narrowed the gap to two points with two scores from play from the hardworking Niall Brett and another from Jonathan Griffin. Bonniconlon sealed the game with the final kick of the game with a point from play to run out 1-10 to 1-7 winners. The Gaels were best served by Paul Mannion, Noel Quinn, Niall Brett, Cathal Vahey and Damien Quinn. The date of the next round at home to Belmullet is fixed for the weekend of July 4th but this will depend on Mayo’s run in the qualifiers.

Mayo Gaels team: Paul Mannion, Martin Connor, Byran Adams, Noel Quinn, Niall Brett (0-1), Adrian Heneghan, Noel Morris, Anthony Byrne, Jonathan Morrin, Jonathan Griffin (0-1), Mallie Byrne (0-2, 1f), Cathal Vahey (0-1), Damien Quinn, Danny Burke (1-2, 2f), Neil McGurrin. Subs. Shane Vahey for Noel Morris, Sean Boyle for Neil McGurrin.