Junior A's Resume League Action

November 7, 2018

Urhan’s Junior A’s returned to league action on Sunday last, June 5th, with a visit to Drimoleague to play Clann Na nGael.

This was the first game in a while for our Junior A team with championship action taking precedence in Carbery over the intervening period, and this unfortunately showed early on with some of the passes into the attack going astray. Clann na nGael, who were clearly much more match sharp, applied good sustained pressure when not in possession contributing to these errors as they hit the ground running and eventually began to make it tell, converting their scores.

Urhan however continued to work hard with James Healy beginning to win primary possession and ball began to go into the Urhan attack. From a well-directed kick out John Dwyer fielded and immediately placed the ball into attack where it quickly found its way to a composed Declan Healy who never looked like missing having been put through for a one-on-one with the keeper by centre-forward David McCarthy. Urhan were well back in the mix on the scoreboard now and the teams continued to trade scores going in level, 1-4 to 0-7, at the interval.

The second half continued in a similar fashion withdetermined displays on both sides. Urhan defending firmly with the half backline in particularly, aided by cover from further afield, showing well along with the ageless Ciaran O’Sullivan. Declan Healy and Kieran Lehane were always threatening when in possession close to goal.

The home side continued to work hard in attack with good support play and strong running. They finally breached the Urhan rear guard for a promising opening. Martin McCarthy, however, advanced very commandingly and danger appeared to have averted with a solid block. This wasn’t to be though as the ball spun as it hit the ground and despite good cover rolled agonisingly into the goal.

This didn’t dent Urhan spirit as they continued to battle hard. Another Clann na nGael assault appeared to have petered out following disciplined, organised defending as the ball rolled towards the end line with plenty of cover. Clever play though  meant the ball was speculatively cut back high across the area and needed a decisive intervention from PJ Cadogan at the expense of a 45. Urhan then setup a tight finish after an attack down the right eventually led to a converted spot kick. The ball had moved swiftly from Urhan’s defence and found its way to Kieran Lehane who drove a hard shot goalward. This was well saved but forced the keeper to parry into the path of James Healy who drove in with two defenders around him and was eventually grounded. The referee judged this to have been done so illegally and awarded the penalty which was well dispatched by James Healy. This levelled affairs setting up an exciting finish.

Both sides fought to the end but it was the home side who registered the scores and ran out two point winners. Urhan will rue to errors that littered the game but can take heart from the spirit and determination shown with the prospect of a number of key players to return along with an encouraging showing from minor Luke Daly making his first team debut.

Final score Urhan 2-6 Clann na nGael 1-11.