Junior B's Exit Championship

November 7, 2018

Urhan fell to Adrgole yesterday in the Beara Junior B Championship, going down on a scoreline of 0-11 to 1-10.

Unfortunately, Urhan were missing a number of players and lacked in substitutes. Those that took to the field however were unfazed by this and began in determined fashion. Adrigole had the strong and lively Fergus Carey at full forward and immediately fed him as they began dangerously.

However Urhan soon settled and Sean Dwyer, playing in midfield, registered the game’s first score. This was soon followed by a point from Michael O’ Neill before Adrigole got one of their own back. John Paul Sheehan added to Urhan’s tally again in a lively committed opening before Sean Dwyer again converted a well taken score. Adrigole again responded to leave it two points to four in Urhan’s favour after 10 minutes.

Johnny O’ Shea pointed well for Urhan on fifteen, John Paul Sheehan tacked on a free two minutes later. Adrigole pointed from play on nineteen, and it was Urhan 0-06 Adrigole 0-3.

Soon however the game took a turn as Adrigole wing forward, Eoin O’Sullivan Greene, was grounded after the ball was transferred in.  Almost immediately Urhan conceded a free as advantage was played. However as tempers flared from the initial incident an Urhan player was struck. This led to an immediate red card for the Adrigole man and after consultation with the umpire the Urhan player was deemed to have himself struck initially and duly red carded too.

Thankfully both sided returned to the true spirit of the game and completed well. Adrigole concluded the first half with two frees shortly before the short whistle to reel Urhan in and leave the minimum between the sides. HT: Urhan 0-06 Adrigole 0-05.

Adrigole opened an intriguing second half well with a dominant ten minute period where the defeict was turned into a two point lead. Urhan settled again though midway through the half as DJ ‘Con’ O’ Sullivan provided good leadership in the middle for the young hardworking players around him. Soon JP Sheehan reduced the Adrigole lead to one with a converted free. Soon the sides were level again as Urhan began to gain momentum, Micheal O’ Neill with the point. 

DJ O’ Sullivan himself registered the lead point on the 49th minute quickly followed by a further JP point.  Urhan now sensed they had the chance to seal the game, and with 10 minutes remaining. JP narrowly missed a goal opportunity from distance. This was a miss they were to rue.

On the 57th minute a speculative ball was dropped in around the Urhan square where the physicality of Fergus Carey caused difficulty and the ball fell to the net. The momentum had swung again.

Urhan now frantically searched for a decisive score as Ardigole tacked on further points. John Paul Sheehan added a further point as Urhan hoped to get another opportunity but alas it wasn’t to be and the game concluded in a two point loss, 1-10 to 0-11. Hard luck to all involved with Urhan, who can be very proud of the display.

Well done to Ardigole and best of luck in the Championship.

Team:Diarmuid O’ Sullivan; Cormac O’ Shea, DJ O’ Shea, Niall Dwyer; Paul Thomas Nee, Alan Dunne, David O’ Brien; DJ O’ Sullivan, Sean Dwyer; Kevin Harrington, John Paul Sheehan, Brian Crowley; Micheal O’ Neill, Johnny O’ Shea, Andrew Feeley.

Sub: Florrie Harrington.