Junior Footballers beaten in Quarter Final

November 8, 2018

Last Saturday evening Edenderry junior footballers exited the championship at the hands of Daingean on a scoreline of 3-19 to 0-06 in Rhode. Daingean – one of the pre championship favourites – now advance to the semi-final where they meet Clonmore Harps.

Edenderry made a good start to the game, as they went into a two point lead. Kevin Guing opened the scoring as he curled the ball over the bar after a good pass from Sean Doyle. Sean then scored a point himself, after good approach play from Dan Ryan and Kevin Guing. Daingean then found their feet as they hit a goal and two points with reply. Edenderry were then reduced to 14 men after a scramble between Edenderry’s Johnny Blong and the Daingean full-forward, resulted with Johnny being shown a straight red, while the Daingean player got away scot-free. Daingean kicked the next four points, while in the middle of those scores Daingean should have had another goal, but Tony Kenny showed some great agility to keep them out after a great double save. Before halftime, Edenderry pulled back two points from a couple of Sean Doyle frees, the first was awarded for a foul on James Merrick, while Sean himself was fouled for the second.

Halftime, Edenderry 0-04 Daingean 1-06.

Edenderry had a woeful start to the second half, as Daingean had the ball in the net for the first score of the second half. Daingean followed that with a point before David Farrelly was sent off after he received a very harsh second yellow card. The men in maroon kicked three more points before Sean Doyle grabbed another point for The Reds after great work from Kevin Guing. At this stage Daingean were very dominant with their two extra players, and they scored another goal and five points, before Sean Doyle yet again registered Edenderry’s next point from a free, awarded for a foul on James Merrick. Daingean finished the game with three further points to give them a most convincing win.

The Juniors have shown a slight improvement from last year’s championship by reaching the quarter-final. But going into this game their hand was weakened with the loss of a number of players through injury, work and family commitments. While during the game they were reduced to 13 men, which made the task at hand impossible. But credit to the players who gave it their all, and never gave up.

The juniors season is not finished yet. They have a league semi-final still to play, but a fixture or their opponents are not known at time of writing.

Team: Tony Kenny, Diarmaid Meleady, Johnny Blong, Joe Murphy, Gary Blong, Colin McNamara, Padraig Foy, Shane Connell, David Farrelly, Sean Doyle (0-5), Colm Cummins, John Gorman, Dan Ryan, James Merrick, Kevin Guing (0-1).

Referee: Tom Darby (Rhode)