Junior Hurlers fall to Kinnity

November 8, 2018

Edenderry hurlers made a losing start to the 2010 Championship when they were defeated by Kinnitty away from home on a scoreline of 4-12 to 1-12.

Edenderry made the worst possible start when they conceded an early goal, quickly followed by three good points. Ger Hanlon opened Edenderry’s account with a point from a free which was awarded for a foul on Thomas Fay, but Kinnitty soon cancelled that score with a good point. Eoghan Kelly grabbed Edenderry’s second score of the game when drove a brilliant point over the bar from long range against the wind. Kinnitty added another goal and a point, before John Paul Brennan was introduced at corner-back in place of Andrew Hynes. Martin Keogh then scored an excellent point for The Reds after a good lay off by Mattie Moore. Kinnitty scored the next point, but Ger Hanlon sent over the last score of the half as he converted a free awarded for a foul on Jason Carey.

Halftime, Edenderry 0-04 Kinnitty 2–06.

Despite playing into the wind, Kinnitty opened the scoring in the second half when they converted a 65 metre free, which was awarded after Conleth Carey made a great block with the ball going over the endline. Edenderry started to dominate this game, with the aid of the wind at their backs they started to knock over some lovely points. Martin Keogh scored Edenderry’s first point in the second half, after Brendan McCabe found him in space from a long puck out. Ger Hanlon then converted another free, which was awarded for a foul on Stephen Murphy. Dave Ryan was then introduced into the action as he replaced Jason Carey. Dave was only on the field a matter of seconds, as he sent over a very good point after good play from Paul Glennon. Kinnitty very nearly scored their third goal of the game, but they were denied this time by ‘keeper Brendan McCabe. Ger Hanlon then knocked over two excellent points from play, before the Kinnitty ‘keeper made a very good save from Shane Kelly. Edenderry defender Stephen Murphy then reduced Kinnitty’s lead down to a goal when he sent over a good point. Kinnitty then broke Edenderry’s scoring streak as one of their forwards cleverly kicked the ball over the bar as he was about to be hooked. Ger Hanlon then scored the next Edenderry point, after Brendan McCabe sent another long delivery down field. Despite dominating the second half, Edenderry found themselves six points down, as Kinnitty scored their third goal of the game. Edenderry then introduced Colin McCormack into the game due to an injury to Thomas Fay. Edenderry then pulled a point back when Martin Keogh sent a blistering shot towards goal, but the Kinnitty goalie did well to tip the ball over the bar. Kinnitty then scored a goal and three points without reply to end the game as a contest, but it could have been worse only for a fine save from Brendan McCabe to prevent a fifth Kinnitty goal. Martin Keogh grabbed a consolation goal for Edenderry when he crashed a free to the net. Kinnitty finished the scoring for the game with a point from a free to give them a nine point winning margin.

Edenderry’s next Championship game will be at home to Seir Kieran on the 3rd May at 3pm.

Team: Brendan McCabe; Andrew Hynes, Conleth Carey, Paul Hanlon; Shane Kelly, Shane Connell, Stephen Murphy (0-1); Martin Keogh (1-3), Eoghan Kelly (0-1); Ger Hanlon (0-6), Mattie Moore, Thomas Fay; Jason Carey, Paul Glennon, Enda Bagnall.

Subs used: John Paul Brennan, Dave Ryan (0-1), Colin McCormack