Junior Hurlers lose out in Semi-Final

November 8, 2018

At Killurin on Sunday afternoon Edenderry bowed out of the Junior A Championship when they were beaten by a well prepared Kilcormac Killoughey team.

Edenderry opened brightly and were rewarded for their pressure when Killian Farrell scored from a 70 metre free. However Kilcormac Killoughey dragged themselves back into the game with a free and an excellent point from play.

Poor defending by Edenderry and players losing their footing allowed the K/K forwards run through on goal and only an excellent save by Derek Egan in the goals denied the K/K centre forward however their corner forward followed the rebound and finished to the net to put four points between the teams after just 10 minutes.

Martin Keogh scored an excellent point from distance before K/K continued to dominate scoring three points (two from frees). Edenderry then made a switch after twenty minutes with David Hanlon replacing Jason Carey.

Shane Kelly then scored an excellent point from about 35 metres before Dave Ryan made a temporary appearance as a blood sub for the injured Killian Farrell. Soon after Dave entered the game as a full substitute replacing corner back Liam Grennan. Ger Hanlon scored a 70 metre free either side of two K/K points . Edenderry then introduced their third substitute as James Merrick came on for Brendan McCabe.

Edenderry ended the first half scoring with a well taken point from Shane Connell leaving the Reds with an uphill struggle trailing by 5 points.

Half Time Score:
Edenderry 0-05
Kilcormac Killoughey 1-07

Edenderry again scored first in the second half from a Killian Farrell free however K/K then scored four points without reply to open an eight point lead. Two Killian Farrell pointed frees were cancelled out by two K/K scores from play.

With 15 minutes left Edenderry began to dominate play and soon began to reduce the arrears on the scoreboard. A short puckout by Derek Egan was driven into the K/K defence by Enda Bagnall and the breaking ball was collected by Eoghan Kelly who evaded his marker to score an excellent point. Two Killian Farrell points and another from Eoghan Kelly saw Edenderry trail by four points with 10 minutes remaining.

K/K upped their game and two pointed frees ensured they would be the winners. A late goal in injury time extended their lead even further. A late 21 metre free was driven at the goal by Killian Farrell however the K/K goalkeeper managed to deflect the ball over the bar. This prompted the referee to blow his final whistle and Kilcormac Killoughey advance to the final on a 2-15 to 0-13 scoreline.

Edenderry Team:

Derek Egan, Liam Grennan, Conleth Carey, Enda Bagnall, Stephen Murphy, Martin Keogh, Jonathan Geraghty, Eoghan Kelly, Paul Glennon, Ger Hanlon, Shane Connell, Jason Carey, Shane Kelly, Brendan McCabe, Killian Farrell. Subs used David Hanlon, Dave Ryan, James Merrick.

Scorers: Killian Farrell 0-7 (6 frees), Eoghan Kelly0-02, Ger Hanlon 0-01,Martin Keogh 0-01, Shane Connell 0-01, Shane Kelly 0-01