Juniors beat Portumna

November 8, 2018

The Junior C hurlers completed a league and championship double when they defeated Portumna in terrible weather conditions last Sunday. Report courtesy of ‘The Galway Voice’ 





Kiltormer ran out convincing winners of The Loughnane Joinery sponsored Junior Hurling C League Final, to add to the championship already captured earlier in the season. The game played at a wet and windy Duggan Park Ballinasloe yesterday, was given the go-ahead following a lengthy pitch inspection by referee Joe McCormack accompanied by officials from both clubs.

Portumna had first use of the elements but Kiltormer made the brighter start, when Mark Murphy capitalised on hesitancy in The Border men’s defence to finish with a ground stroke to the net, after 30 seconds. Vincent Sellers opened for Portumna with a free from 65 yards out after six first half minutes as exchanges were fairly even at this stage.

 The conditions were having a major influence on proceedings; as a result play was scrappy and broken for most of the half. Cathal Glynn extended Kiltormers lead with a well taken point before Shane Conners levelled with a priceless goal, having received a pass from the hard working Vincent Treacy, mid-way through the half. From here to the break scores were hard come by, Damien Curley from a free and Tommy Kilkenny, a fine effort from play, had points for The Blues, either side of a Francis Canning placed ball for the Shannonsiders. The same player levelled the match, at 1– 3 each, with a sweet strike on the run, 45 yards out, as the half ended, Kiltormer returned after the break sporting a fresh set of jerseys, clearly signalling their intent for the second period. Playing with the stiff breeze, there was a heightened sense of urgency about their play and they were now adapting much better to the conditions. Tommy Kilkenny was on the mark with a point as he set about taking the game by the scruff of the neck. In fact he hurled a storm scoring 4 points to add to the one tallied in the first half, in what was without doubt a man of the match performance.
Portumna were thrown a lifeline early in the second half when a free by Vincent Sellers was first timed to the net by Vincent Treacy, who was having a great duel with Kevin Tierney. Although this gave them a two point lead, they were not to score again as Kiltormer took control and could have been out of sight, were it not for three great saves by Portumna goalkeeper David Dolphin, to deny Damien Curley, Cathal Glynn and Pat Condon. All over the field they were winning the vital battles. Tierney began to get the better of Treacy, the half back line were now on top where Michael Callaghan had a fine match, with the experienced Fionain Curley leading superbly, and Shane Furey excellent, until going off injured late on. As well as defending he contributed on massive point, winning the ball deep in his own half, embarked on a mazy run before striking from 45 yards out. Damien Curley was pulling the strings up front, although not as fleet footed as of yore, his deft flick and lay off’s were making the openings for those around him and his three points from placed balls were crucial. Portumna made a good fight of it for most of the match. David Dolphin performed heroics in goal, Martin Guillane and Vincent Sellers defended stoutly, while up front Vincent Treacy got most assistance from Shane Connors, Seamus and Frankie Canning and Patrick Dolphin. In the end the experienced spine of the Kiltormer outfit allied to the youthful verve on the flanks made the difference.

Kiltormer:- Pakie Dervan; Declan Gately, Kevin Tierney, Ger Kelly, Michael Callaghan, Fionan Curley, Shane Furey, Tommy Kilkenny, Johnny Lynch, Liam Kilkenny, Cathal Glynn, Quentin Lynch, Mark Murphy, Damien Curley, Martin Kilkenny Subs: Pat Condon for Shane Furey inj 44min; ColmCurley for Cathal Glynn inj 58 min;
Portumna:- David Dolphin, Luke Sellers, MartinGuillane, Shane Madden, Ronan Royston, Vincient Sellers, Eoin O’Toole, Ray McEntee, Patrick Dolphin, Colin Royston, Shane Connors, Johnathan Fahy, Seamus Canning, Vincent Treacy, Frankie Canning Subs: Damien Mitchell for Johnathan Fahy, Evan Moran for Colin Royston, Ml Moran for Eoin O’Toole.
Referee: Joe McCormack(Meelick/Eyrecourt)
Man of the Match: Tommy Kilkenny (Kiltormer)