Juniors Go Down To Clonmore

November 8, 2018

Clonmore Harps……2-09

On Sunday evening Edenderry junior footballers went down by two points to Clonmore Harps in Clonmore to complete a miserable weekend for the clubs adult footballers.

Clonmore settled quicker into the game and stormed into a four point lead, scoring two from frees and two from play. But it could have been more only for an excellent block from Padraig Foy. Glen Dolan then opened Edenderry’s account when he coolly slotted over a free, which was awarded for a foul on Barry Moore. But Clonmore then went down the field to score a goal to stretch their lead to six points. Kenneth McNamara was then introduced in place of Adrian Forde. Edenderry should have been awarded a penalty when John Mason was dragged down in the square, but somehow the referee decided to award a free out! Michael Bryan then came on for the injured Paddy Lynch, before Sean Og Farrell scored an excellent goal for Edenderry. Kenneth McNamara then followed up with a very good point to reduce Clonmore’s lead to two points. Just before halftime, Clonmore scored a point from a free to leave three points between the sides at the break.

Halftime, Edenderry 1-02 Clonmore Harps 1-05.

Edenderry made an excellent start to the second half when they scored two points to cut the lead to a single point. The first score came from Kenneth McNamara, who sent over a nice point after a good pass from Sean Og Farrell, while the second was a brilliant point from John ‘Baby’ Mason. But then with Clonmore’s first attack of the second half they scored a goal. Glen Dolan then sent over another free, which was awarded for a dangerous high tackle on Barry Moore. Diarmuid Meleady was then brought in for Padraig Foy at corner-back. Clonmore then scored three points in a row to extend their lead to six points. Both sides swapped points, with Edenderry’s score coming from Shane Kelly after a quick free from John Mason. Edenderry then made a substitution with Briain Reilly coming in for Colm Cummins. John Mason then scored a point for Edenderry, before a row broke out. When things settled down, the referee gave red cards to Edenderry’s Briain Reilly and a Clonmore player. A few minutes later the referee awarded the third red card of the game, this time Sean Og Farrell was sent to the line for a second yellow card. Edenderry then scored a very good goal through Barry Moore, after John Mason went on a great run and passed to Michael Bryan who gave an excellent pass to Barry Moore who calmly placed the ball past the goalie. Before the game was over, referee Tom Darby dished out yet another red card, this time Colin McNamara was given his marching orders, but it was unclear what the sending off was actually for.

Edenderry had some good performances from Willie Pender, Shane Kelly, Darren Moore, John Mason and Kenneth McNamara.

Team: Ciaran Cummins; Conor O’Donoghue, Willie Pender, Padraig Foy; Shane Kelly (0-1), Colin McNamara, Darren Moore; James Rafferty, Colm Cummins; Barry Moore (1-0), Sean Og Farrell (1-0), Paddy Lynch; Adrian Forde, John Mason (0-2), Glen Dolan (0-2).

Substitutes: Kenneth McNamara (0-2), Briain Reilly, Diarmuid Meleady, Michael Bryan, David Farrelly, Brendan McCabe, Adrian Bryan, Adrian Farrell, Des Burke, Paul Hanlon, Tony Kenny.

Referee: Tom Darby.