November 8, 2018

We made the long journey to Kilmoyley in North Kerry last Sunday for the semi final of the 2006 Munster Senior Hurling League Division 1. After a great game of hurling we came out on the loosing side of a 2-14 to 2-11 scoreline. It was a lovely day for hurling on a perfect surface. The Kilmoyley team who were a top hurling side in Kerry in the 1960’s fell on a bad period for close on 25 years until 2002. That year they won the Kerry Co. S.H.C. and then recorded a 4 in a row of Co. titles. They also won the Munster Senior Hurling title in 2003 defeating Cork’s Na Piarsaigh in the final. Last year their great rivals Ballyduff defeated Kilmoyley in the Kerry semi final. Current Wexford manager John Meyler was the guiding light in Kilmoyley for the last 5 years. This year former Clare captain and trainer Anthony Daly has taken over. Despite a one hundred mile journey on Sunday we were quickly into the game. Early points from Sean Ryan and Terry Broderick gave us a great start. We were well on top and our fast striking had the Kerry defence in all kinds of trouble. We struck 3 wides before Barry Johnson added our 3rd point from a free after 15 minutes. Then in a twinkling Kilmoyley were back in the game, three points in 2 minutes brought them level and they added two more before a Michael Collins point left us just 0-4 to 0-5 behind. Kerry player Shane Brick then drove a free to the net and they followed with a point to go ahead 1-6 to 0-4. Barry Hazelwood and Jerome O’Driscoll added points. Kilmoyley had the last score of the first half to lead by 1-7 to 0-6 at the break. Quick points from Sean Ryan and Shane Murphy reduced the Kilmoyley lead to 2 points. Brick made it 1-9 to 0-8 after fifteen minutes of the second half. The Ryan brothers then had a purple patch, Donal hit a goal which was sandwiched by two points from Sean and we were back in front by 1-10 to 1-9. The game was a cracking contest more like hurling in June than the first Sunday in February. Shane Brick who h ad a brilliant game for Kilmoyley hit 1-1 to put the North Kerry side ahead 2-10 to 1-10. Sean Ryan reduced the deficit in the 24th minute but Kilmoyley had a similar score seconds later to leave it 2-11 to 1-11 with five minutes to go. Brick then pointed three frees in a row to go six points up. Barry Johnson then hit a cracker of a goal from a free and it was 2-14 to 2-11 with time almost up. We pressed hard and after a great four man move Donal Ryan finished to the net for the equalizer. Much to our dismay the umpires disallowed the goal, claiming it was a square goal. The sliotar was pucked out – game over. The simple truth is that we hit too many wides especially in the first half when we could easily have had a 7 or 8 point lead. Shane Brick scored 2-9 and he was the difference between the sides. On the plus side however ‘twas a great game of hurling and many of our players showed up well. Great to see Brendan Walsh back. Games like this can only improve the side.
Team & Scorers: D Fitzgerald, L Ford, B Walsh, J Murphy, T Moloney, B Murphy, P Walsh, B Johnson (1-1), S Murphy (0-1), M Collins (0-1), S Ryan (0-5), R Cahill, T Broderick (0-1), J O’Driscoll (0-1), B Hazelwood (0-1).
Subs: D Ryan (1-0), T Kearney.
Thanks to our supporters who made the 200 mile round trip on Sunday. Kilmoyley now play Ballyduff from Waterford in the Munster League Final next Sunday in Newtownshandrum.