Mason carves out winner

November 8, 2018


St Rynagh’s….0-09
On the finest day of the year so far Edenderry clung on to their Senior status by the narrowest of margins. An inspirational substitution late in the game proved the winning of the game when John ‘Baby’ Mason remained cool to slot the ball to the Ryanaghs net and secure the Reds a 3 point win.
Edenderry really should have had this game over as a contest early on, but some wasteful shooting allowed St. Ryanaghs to remain in touch throughout the game. After poor wides from R. Glennon, K. McGuinness and C. Byrne, Edenderry nerves were settled by a C. Farrell point. On the other hand Ryanaghs were far from wasteful and every attack produced a score for the West Offaly outfit. Edenderry were made work hard for each score and Basil Malone came to the rescue on more than one occasion with some nicely pointed frees.
Edenderry reached halftime facing a one point deficit 0-06 to 0-05. Edenderry came out of the blocks in the second half with renewed purpose and at one stage in the second half led the Cloghan/Banagher combination by the requisite 2 points which was enough to secure Senior status. However St Rynaghs came storming back and levelled the game at 0-09 points apiece.
With the game in the balance, and a Senior football hiatus of 8 years, up steps John ‘Baby’ Mason. He last played Senior Championship in a play off game versus Rhode in 2000 (which was to see which club would represent Offaly in the Leinster Club Championship) nobody at the Cappincur venue could have predicted what was to come next. Following a flowing move the length of the field which tore St rynagh’s to shreds, Mark Young provided the final slip pass to Mason, who showed exemplary composure to calmly jink off his right foot, bamboozle the Rynagh’s keeper and slot the ball to the back of the net.
The final 5 minutes were tense and hectic to say the least but thankfully the Red’s held out for the 3 point victory which secures Senior status.
Team: Brian Quinlan; Sean Pender, Adrian Murphy, Wayne Mooney; Stephen Murphy, Johnny Hurst, Colm Byrne; Adrian Mahon, Ritchie Dalton; Basil Malone, Sean Og Farrell, Mark Young; Keith McGuinness, Cillan Farrell, Robbie Glennon.

Substitutes: Shaun Kelly for Sean Og Farrell; John Mason for Robbie Glennon.

Referee: Molloy Tullamore.