Minors win in Championship

November 8, 2018

Edenderry Minor Footballers picked up where they left off in the League Final with an impressive victory over a fancied Ferbane/ Belmont side at an excellently prepared Edenderry GAA.

The Reds played with the wind in the first half but the West Offaly side got the better start and led by two points early on. Edenderry’s first attack set the tone for the remainder of the game as a swift move through the middle saw the ball break to the diminutive Peter McNamara who crashed it to the net to put the Reds in front. A Mikey Clear point followed before Ferbane responded with a point of their own.

Aaron “Snack” McDonnell was proving a thorn in the F/B defence and when his shot at goal on 13 minutes was deflected out by the keeper for a 45’, Snack coolly slotted it over the bar. Jamie Dolan pointed a free before F/B replied with one of their own.

The Reds needed to put some breathing space between them & F/B and the second quarter they hit a purple patch with four points from play from Adam Mahon, Leslie Nolan, Peter McNamara & Mikey Clear. This saw Edenderry ahead by 1-07 to 0-04 after 26 minutes.

Just on half time Ferbane/Belmont tried to haul themselves back into the game with a swift move cutting open the Edenderry defence however Cain Brereton showed his bravery & skill when stopping and holding onto a rasping shot that seemed destined for the net. Ferbane/ Belmont did manage two points in injury time to leave Edenderry ahead by four points at the break on a scoreline of Edenderry 1-07 Ferbane Belmont 0-06.

Again in the early minutes of the second half it was the men in Green who owned the ball and two early scores cut the lead to just two points. Edenderry remained composed and played the ball well throughout the field as they sought to unlock the green defence. As in the first half a long ball through the middle seeking out Snack broke to Peter McNamara however his rocket of a shot hit straight off the keepers face and deflected away. Mikey Clear picked up the loose ball and pointed.

It was Clear again who broke through the Ferbane defence in the 41st minute when good interplay between McDonnell & Ciaran Farrell opened the way for Mikey to score Edenderry’s second goal. Edenderry then introduced Sergio Camara for Ross Mangan and Snack pointed a free in the 43rd minute to leave Edenderry in command by 2-09- to 0-08.

Ferbane/Belmont responded with a pointed free before Jordan Hayes replaced Leslie Nolan on 49 mins and Aaron Moules for Daryl O’Connor on 51 mins.

The game had petered out as a contest however Jordan Hayes brought it to life again on 54 mins when he latched onto another long ball which had broken on the edge of the square before rounding the keeper and crashing it home to ensure the Reds earned the points.

Ferbane/Belmont had two further points from play either side of a Mikey Clear point to leave the final score

Edenderry 3-10 Ferbane/Belmont 0-11.

Best for Edenderry were Cain Brereton, David Maloney, Oran Lawton, Adam Mahon, Peter McNamara, Aaron McDonnell & Mikey Clear.


Cain Brereton, Mark Abbott, David Maloney, Daryl O’Connor, David Hughes, Ross Mangan, Mathew O’Grady, Adam Mahon, Oran Lawton, Leslie Nolan, Ciaran Farrell, Jamie Dolan, Peter McNamara, Aaron McDonnell, Mikey Clear.

Subs used: Sergio Camara for Ross Mangan, Jordan Hayes for Leslie Nolan, Aaron Moules for Daryl O’Connor

Referee: Pat Gallagher

Edenderry’s remaining games in Group 2 are against St Rynaghs, St Vincent’s and Na Fianna. In tonights other game in the group St Vincent’s beat St Rynaghs by 3-20 to 1-04 and they top the group on score difference from Edenderry.

Other results of note in the MFC

Group 1

Gracefield 1-13 Rhode 1-08

St Broughan’s 2-10 Tullamore 2-08

Group 3

Clara 4-13 Ballycumber/Tubber 3-09

DER Gaels 4-07 Kilcormac Killoughey 1-06