November 8, 2018

Legion 0-12 Rathmore 0-13

This O Donoghue Cup Quarter Final was played in a rain drenched Direen on Saturday 25th October. It rained all during the game but this didn’t stop the teams producing a hard fought close contest. Rathmore started the game brightly and went ahead by three points in the first seven minutes. Eoin Lawlor opened the scoring in the 4th minute then John Buckley pointed in the 5th minute, and it was Lawlor who pointed again in the 7th minute. Then Legion started to get to grips with the conditions and in the 8th minute a Seanie Culloty free opened their account. Denis Sheehan added to their tally in the 11th minute and a James O’ Donoghue point in the 12th minute levelled up the game 3 points apiece.

Rathmore took over again with pointed frees by Jerry Murphy in the 16th and 20th minute of the half. Michael O’ Riordan stretched Rathmore’s lead to three again with a free in the 22nd minute. Legion replied with a point from midfielder David Murphy in the 23rd minute to leave the score Rathmore 0-06 Legion 0-04. Two frees by Damien Casey in the 25th and 27th minute, and another point by John Buckley in the 28th minute added to Rathmore’s tally. A Seanie Culloty free in the 29th minute kept Legion in touch, but a Jerry Murphy point at the end of the half left Rathmore leading 10 points to 5 at the interval.

Legion came out of the blocks faster in the second half and tacked on two early points thanks to a James O’ Donoghue free in the 3rd minute and a David Murphy point in the 6th minute. Jerry Murphy opened Rathmore’s second half scoring with a point in the 8th minute. A Mike O’ Sullivan free in the 9th minute left Legion trailing by three points, Rathmore 0-11 Legion 0-08. Then an Eoin Lawlor point in the 12th minute gave Rathmore a four-point advantage.
This was Rathmore’s last score until the final minutes of the game, as Legion took the upper hand. David Murphy pointed in the 13th minute to start the Legion comeback. Then James O’ Donoghue kicked a brilliant free off the ground near the sideline in the 16th minute to leave two points between the sides. In the 23rd minute a point from substitute Derek Twomey left the Killarney side trailing by the minimum. There comeback was completed in the 25th minute when O’ Donoghue pointed to level the game with minutes remaining.
Now Rathmore rallied and had great chances to take the lead but they couldn’t find the target. Then in the 30th minute Rathmore were awarded a free about 30 yards from goal, up stepped Eoin Lawlor and he slotted it coolly over the bar to the cheers of the Rathmore faithful. Legion tried to equalise but the Rathmore defence stood strong to ensure Rathmore marched into the semi final.
Final Score Legion 0-12 Rathmore 0-13.
Rathmore Team and Scorers: Jamieson Hughes, Kieran Cahill, Tom O’ Sullivan, Mike Joe Kelliher, James O’ Sullivan, Kieran O’ Sullivan, Brian O’ Leary, Tim Cronin, John Buckley (0-02), Ian Kelliher, Daniel O’ Sullivan, Eoin Lawlor (0-04), Michael O’ Riordan (0-01), Damien Casey (0-02), Jerry Murphy (0-04). Subs: Conor O’ Sullivan for Michael O’ Riordan, Stephen Lehane for Damien Casey.
Outdoor Synthetic Field will be opening in Rathmore at the start of November. A 40 metre by 20 metre field will cost €40 per hour. For bookings please contact Mike on (085) 1741487.
Scor Na Nog: The East Kerry Finals of Scor Na Nog is being held in the Aras Padraig Killarney on November 8th at 6 p.m. All support for our young people who are participating in Scor would be greatly appreciated.