Offaly Lose to Galway in Walsh Cup Semi-Final

November 8, 2018

Walsh Cup SH Semi-Final: Galway 1-22, Offaly 2-16

Galway advanced to play Dublin in the Walsh Cup senior hurling final with a three point win over Offaly at O’Connor Park on Saturday.

This was another spirited display by Offaly, who never gave up during an exciting second half.

Galway six points to no score after 11 minutes before Rory Hanniffy opened Offaly’s account. Galway got their seventh score but Offaly then improved and hit over three in a row from Shane Dooley (2) and Ger Oakley.

And Offaly drew level at 1-4 to 0-7 in the 23rd minute when great work by Shane Dooley helped set up a goal for Ger Healion.

Galway recovered to hit three points in a row again to restore their cushion. Shane Dooley slotted over another free but with 31 minutes gone full forward Joe Gantley broke through for a Galway goal. The score board read 1-10 to 1-5 in favour of the visitors.

Points were traded by Ger Farragher – from a sideline – and Rory Hanniffy, to leave it 1-11 to 1-6 at the interval.

Galway started the second half strongly and free-taker Ger Farragher helped stretch their advantage. Shane Dooley (free), Ger Healion and Conor Mahon – who kicked over the bar from close range – added to Offaly’s tally. But by the 15th minute of the second half, Galway were comfortably ahead by 1-17 to 1-9.

It appeared the contest would peter out, but Kevin Brady scored a great point for Offaly and then Shane Dooley fired home a fine goal to the roof of the net from almost 20 metres in the 25th minute of the half.

At that stage, Offaly only trailed by 1-19 to 2-12 and despite Galway getting their 20th point, Offaly rallied through Ger Healion and Dooley (free). Dooley then tore through on a great run with two minute left and his kicked effort almost resulted in a goal, but Galway cleared the sliotar off the line.

In the ensuing tussle, Offaly were awarded a 20 metre free and young goalkeeper Eoin Kelly from Lusmagh came up the field to take it. However, he fired the ball over the bar, leaving it 1-20 to 2-15. In the dying moments, Galway registered two more points and Offaly replied through Kevin Brady to leave the final score 1-22 to 2-16.

Offaly had qualified for the semi-final with wins over D.I.T. and Kilkenny, while Galway had beaten Laois after extra time.

Galway scorers: Ger Farragher: (8 frees, 1 sideline, 1 ‘65’) 0-10; Joe Gantly 1-; David Burke 0-3; Cyril Donnellan (1 free) 0-2; Aonghus Callanan and Aidan Harte 0-1 each.

Offaly scorers: Shane Dooley (5 frees) 1-7; Ger Healion 1-2; Rory Hanniffy and Kevin Brady 0-2 each; Eoin Kelly (penalty), Conor Mahon, Ger Oakley 0-1 each.

Galway: James Skehill; Damien Joyce, Shane Kavanagh, Pat Holland; Donal Barry, Tony Og Regan, Kevin Hynes; Ger Farragher, Niall Cahalan; Aonghus Callanan, Cyril Donnellan, David Burke; Aidan Harte, Joe Gantly, Niall Hayes.

Subs Used: Richie Cummins, Iarlaith Tannion, Andy Coen.

Offaly: Eoin Kelly; James Rigney, Eanna Murphy, Stephen Wynne; Paul Cleary, Diarmuid Horan, Derek Morkan; James Keane, Rory Hanniffy; Joe Brady, Ger Oakley, Shane Kelly; Cathal Parlon, Ger Healion, Shane Dooley.

Subs Used: Dylan Hayden, Brian Carroll, Kevin Brady, Conor Mahon.