Quarter-Final Ends In Disappointment

November 7, 2018

Urhan’s Junior A campaign came to an abrupt halt on Saturday, when we lost to a fitter, stronger and better Mitchelstown team in the torrential rain in Dunmanway.

Despite winning the fair share of first-half kick-outs, Urhan played second fiddle for the entire first half. While Urhan spilled ball in the dreadful conditions, Mitchelstown’s handling was superb and, with their ability to break the tackle much evident they were using the ball far better. As the half-time whistle approached they led by 0-09 to 0-01, Urhan’s score coming from Vinny Lehane, The scoreline could have been worse if it wasn’t for two one-one-one saves from Martin McCarthy.

Urhan managed to tack on two more points before the break, from Vinny Lehane and a Concubhar Harrington free, before Martin McCarthy produced a truly outstanding save, diving to his right, to once again deny Mitchelstown. Urhan trailed 0-09 to 0-03.

Urhan needed a good start to the scond half, and they got it courtesy of a Declan Healy free. However, Mitchelstown replied with a point of their own, and never letup from there to the final whistle. A late Declan Healy free was to be Urhan’s only further contribution on the board, as Mitchelstown proved to be the better team on the day by a good distance.

It was a massively disappointing end to the year for our Junior A’s, but our congratulations and best wishes go to a fine and sporting Mitchelstown team, and we wish them well for the rest of the championship.

Team: Martin McCarthy; PJ Cadogan, John Dwyer, Donal O’ Shea; Brian Healy, Mikey O’ Shea, David Cronin; James Healy(captain), Daniel Dwyer; Martin O’ Neill, Ciarán O’ Sullivan, David McCarthy, Concubhar Harrington, Vinny Lehane, Declan Healy.

Subs: Luke Daly for Brian Healy (inj.), Sean O’ Shea for David McCarthy, Iain O’ Sullivan for Donal O’ Shea, Finbarr Dwyer for James Healy, Kieran O’ Neill for Vinny Lehane.

For newspaper reports and photos, click on link below:-