Rathmore crowned champs after dramatic win

November 8, 2018

East Kerry Under-21 Football Championship Final
Rathmore 0-12 Currow 1-8

A GREAT point from all of 50 yards by Kieran O’Sullivan in the first minute of added time gave Rathmore victory in an entertaining East Kerry under-21 championship final at Fitzgerald Stadium on Bank Holiday Monday.

It was a victory that a physically stronger Rathmore side just about deserved but they were made fight all the way by a tenacious Currow 15 who refused to throw in the towel when they looked in danger of being over-whelmed in the second half.

Currow had first use of the strong wind that spoilt the game all through. And after missing a couple of early scoring chances they got the boost of a goal in the fourth minute when John Buck-ley’s 45 came back off the post and was punched to the net by the alert Timmy O’Leary after Jamie Cooper in the Rathmore goal lost possession.

Rathmore passed up a couple of good chances of scores from frees before Patrick McCarthy had two good points for Currow to extend their lead to five points at the end of the first quarter.

Timmy O’Leary fisted over another before Rathmore opened their account in the 21st minute when Ian Kelleher scooped the ball over the bar with a goal on.

John Buckley replied with a fine point from distance for Currow but Rathmore finished the half on the up with two points from the Kellehers, Michael J – a fine individual effort – and Michael Anthony from a free.

That was just after Eoin Collins in the Currow goal made an excellent save from Sean Noonan who was clean through on goal. At the break it was 1-4 to 3 points for Currow – a lead that never looked convincing given the strength of the wind.

Timmy O’Leary pointed Currow further ahead on the resumption. But Rathmore quickly settled down to dominate the third quarter and with Kieran and Daniel O’Sullivan, Ian Kelleher, Eoin Lawlor and Ian O’Leary in tremendous form, the winner’s were level within seven minutes of the restart.

This was thanks to five unanswered points – one of them from Ian O’Leary a particularly fine effort from the right wing. Three more points, including a beauty from young Eoin Lawlor, saw Rathmore three clear and coasting by the 45th minute.

However all credit to a young Currow side who fought back bravely to level the game with six minutes remaining thanks to points from John Buckley, Timmy O’Leary and Timmy Kelly.

It was anybody‚s game at this stage and chances went a begging at both ends before Kieran O’Sullivan emerged as the Rathmore hero with that fine point to secure victory for his side.

After the game the Maurice O’Donoghue Cup was presented to Rathmore captain, Ian Kelleher by East Kerry Board chairman, Ger Galvin.

Rathmore: J Cooper, D Casey, J O’Sullivan, M J Kelleher (0-1), B O‚Leary (0-1), K O’Sullivan (0-1), J Dineen, I Kelleher (0-2), D O’Sullivan, J Reen, S Noonan, J Hickey (0-1), E Lawlor (0-1), M A Kelleher (0-4, frees), I O’Leary (0-1).
Sub: P Kelleher for Noonan.

Currow: E Collins, N O’Sullivan, P O’Sullivan, R O’Mahony, P Dennehy, J O’Connor, I Sommers, D O’Shea, S O’Shea, T O’Leary (1-3, 0-1 free), A O’Shea, K Daly, P McCarthy (0-2), J Buckley (0-2, 0-1 free), T Kelly (0-1).
Subs: E Cronin for S O’Shea. Referee: Padraig O’Sullivan (Firies)