Rovers and Bray share spoils at Carlisle Grounds

November 8, 2018

Sligo Rovers and Bray Wanderers served up what was the first scoreless draw of the season at the seaside venue in a match where both goalkeepers shone on Friday night.

The Carlisle Grounds witnessed its first scoreless draw of the season as Bray and Sligo shared the spoils.

Both goalkeepers Alan Gough and Richard Brush earned their teams a point with fine displays between the posts.

The closest either club came to finding the net arrived in 83rd minute as Alan Cawley twisted and turned before hitting a cracking 25-yarder that smashed against the bar.

Remarkably, the Seagulls have now not scored at their own venue since last May while Rovers have now recorded six stalemates in the Premier Division so far in 2008.

Bray almost broke the dead-lock in the 37th minute.

Aidan O’Keeffe intercepted a cross-field ball and broke into the box and set-up Paddy Kavanagh. The Irish U23 star rode a tackle and unleashed a 12-yard shot that Brush marvellously kept out with his legs.

Moments later at the other end, Gough showed he could match anything the Rovers keeper could do, the veteran custodian producing a fine stop from Romauld Boco’s 15-yard drive.

Rovers nearly got the second period off to a blistering start. Just seconds after the turnaround, substitute Gary Curran blasted over from the edge of the box after being teed up by David McDaid

Wanderers mustered another opportunity in the 55th minute when young winger Gareth Coughlan dived in with a header that Chris Butler deflected out for a corner.

Gough was the Seagulls saviour again in the 72nd minute. Boco’s slide rule through ball set McDaid clear, but the on-loan teenager from Derry saw his shot pushed out the ball for a corner with diving save.

Bray Wanderers: Gough; Pender, Doherty (Foran 88 mins), Kenny, Cronin; Coughlin (Dunphy 65 mins), Cawley, Whelan, Duggan, Kavanagh; O’Keeffe.

Sligo Rovers: Brush; Coleman, Ventre, Almeida, Butler; Cash, O’Grady (Curran 27 mins), Ryan, Doherty; McDaid (McTiernan 77 mins), Boco.

Referee: Tom Connolly (Dublin).