Second Half Seals It For Under-16's

November 7, 2018

Our Under-16’s had to dig deep in the second half of their BL/BCL double-header today in Páirc na hAoraí, and emerged with the win. Urhan 6-16 Castletownbere 3-08.

Facing into a strong wind for the second half with the scores level at 2-06 apiece, the odds seemed to be against Urhan, but Urhan moved up a gear after the break and recorded a crucial win as a result.

The first half had been an even affair with never more than a goal between the sides. Andrew O’ Neill burst through the middle in the very first move to point the opener. Town levelled it up with a nice score from play five minutes later, and quickly added a goal – the ball dropping short from a free, breaking loose before being smashed to the school end net.

Urhan responded immediately. Another break through the centre from Andrew O’ Neill ended with the ball pounding off the right goalpost and careering in. Urhan followed up with one from play and two from frees, and led by three after thirteen minutes.

Back came Town with four points in the next ten minutes, two from play and two from frees. Once again the trailing team responded immediately as Urhan goaled again through Andrew O’ Neill. Conor Lowney added his third free to put a goal between the teams with five minutes to the break.

With four minutes to go, the goal lead had disappeared again after Town netted following a good move through the middle. A Town point was added, only for it to be cancelled out by Andrew O’ Neill just before the break.

Urhan’s tough second-half task was made harder as Town hit the front five minutes after the restart. Urhan had hit a couple of wides as possession was wasted. A Conor Lowney free got them going, but Town came back only to hit a couple of wides themselves. The next score seemed certain to be vital.

When it came it came to Urhan in the shape of a Conor Lowney goal. Half-time substitute Cillian Shea added a point on forty minutes, and with Urhan’s backs and centre-field now getting on top, a platform of possession was established. Urhan took advantage and pressed for home. Andrew Neill pointed when a blocked shot fell to him on forty-two, Cillian Shea added another immediately, Conor Lowney converted a free on forty-five, Philip Shea tucked away a neat goal on forty-six and Seamus Lyons pointed smoothly on forty-seven. At 4-12 to 2-07, Urhan’s lead looked decisive.

However, Town produced another kick with a goal and a point to reduce the lead to seven.

Urhan kicked on again, with five minutes of sterling defensive work and repelled Town’s attacks. A breakaway resulted in a Philip Shea point on fifty-three. Two minutes later, the same player goaled sweetly and Town’s resistence seemed broken. Urhan added points through Conor Lowney and Joseph O’ Sullivan. A Seamus Lyons shot dropped short and into the net and Philip Shea pointed to complete the scoring. Urhan 6-16 Castletownbere 3-08.

Team: Paddy Sheehan; Anthony Shea, Kevin Elphick; Dónal Óg Harrington, Danny O’ Neil; Andrew O’ Neill, Conor Lowney; Joseph O’ Sullivan, Seamus Lyons; Kevin O’ Sullivan, Philip Shea.

Subs: Cillian Shea for Dónal Óg Harrington, Dylan Murphy for Kevin O’ Sullivan (inj.), Alan O’ Donoghue for Danny O’ Neill, Ciarán O’ Sullivan for Joseph O’ Sullivan.