Senior League Div 1

November 8, 2018

As this was the last game before the 1st Round of the Championship in 3 weeks’ time, Edenderry were hoping to use this as a good workout before the Erin Rovers game. However, with some injuries and with the County Players being unavailable for this game there was an opportunity for others to impress.

Croghan started brightly and moved the ball well in the opening minutes and were first to register a score, although it was to be their last of the half. With 7th mins gone the Reds levelled matters when Derek Kelly pointed from a free. A long range ball to full forward Adrian Mahon was punched over the bar for Edenderry’s second score in the 14th minute. Edenderry who were now on top at the back began to dominate in the middle of the field and Derek Kelly was to the fore. Derek pointed again after taking the return from a short ’45. Moments later Edenderry scored a goal after a super move up the middle of the field. The move began on Edenderry’s own ’45 and involved several players before Derek Kelly burst through the middle to slot the ball to the net. In the final ten minutes of the half Edenderry failed to capitalise on their dominance, however Stephen Guing pointed following a patient build up in the 25th minute. David ‘Rodge’ Hanlon always looked dangerous in the full forward line and was fouled on numerous occasions, opportunities Edenderry failed to convert, but with 5 minutes left in the half Rodge turned his man and blasted the ball over the bar from a tight angle. The half time score 1-05 to 0-01.

Croghan took the full time and more allocated for the half time break to discuss their first half performance and it seemed to help them ever so slightly but Edenderry remained broadly dominant in the 2nd half also. A pointed free gave Croghan their second score before Edenderry could have had a second goal when a well worked move left Stephen Guing through on a crowded goal, Stephen blasted the ball over the bar. Ciaran Hurley, introduced at half time pointed a free in the 8th minute of the second half. Over-elaboration on Edenderry’s part for the middle section of the half allowed Croghan back into the match, another pointed free left the score 1-7 to 0-03. The Reds were beginning to take their foot off the pedal and this allowed Croghan to flood forward and earn a penalty. The penalty was excellently dispatched and with 16 minutes gone there was now 4 points between the sides. Edenderry then could have finished the match off after another defence splitting move put Martin Keogh in on goal but he to blasted over from yards out. The match then entered a sort of stalemate where the Edenderry defence which was excellent throughout kept Croghan at bay but struggled to get the ball beyond midfield when they had opportunities to be more direct. However in the final minutes the midfield pairing of Guing and Kelly upped the ante with the assistance of brothers Pat and Dan Maloney – making up the midfield diamond. Surging runs at the Croghan goal earned frees which unfortunately from tight angles Ciaran Hurley failed to convert, however it must be said Ciaran is only returning from a long layoff through injury. In the 29th minute Ciaran did settle things with a nice free before yet another excellent surging move involving many players left Derek Kelly in front of goal to blast over the bar with the last kick of the game to leave the final score Edenderry 1-10 St. Brigids 1-04.

Edenderry will be happy with this performance and the 2 points are welcome also. However the performances of all players involved will give the selectors plenty to consider before the first round. The work rate of the team was excellent throughout with all players contributing to the win.

TEAM: B Quinlan, W. Mooney, J Blong, D Meleady, G Blong, D Moloney, J Murphy, S Guing (0-02), D Kelly (1-3), C Byrne, P Moloney, D Hanlon (0-01), J Gorman, A Mahon (0-01), J Hurst

Subs; M Keogh (0-01) for J Gorman, C Hurley (0-02) for A Mahon, D Nolan for J Murphy