Seniors Defeat Bracknagh

November 8, 2018


Last Tuesday Edenderry footballers made the journey to Bracknagh to take on the home side the Division 2 Football League. Despite playing with the aid of the first half breeze, The Reds went in at the break only four points in front. But an improved second performance which yielded four goals gave Edenderry a 17 point victory.

Edenderry opened the scoring through centre half forward Cillian Farrell, when he sent the ball over the bar for a good point after great work from Stephen Doyle, Johnny Blong and Keith McGuinness. Despite Edenderry owning the ball they failed to make their advantage show on the scoreboard, as they hit wide after wide. It took a while for Edenderry’s next score, when Keith McGuinness finished to the net after the Doyle cousins Stephen and Alan combined well to set Keith up for the goal. Shane ‘Bisto’ Kelly then scored a great point after he went highest to win possession from the Bracknagh kick-out, and then send the ball over the bar. Mark Young grabbed Edenderry’s next score when Adrian Mahon broke a Bracknagh kick-out to Mark, who scored a good point. Bracknagh then scored two points in a row, one from play and one from a free to get off the mark. Edenderry then scored their second goal, when Mark Young hit a powerful shot which rebounded off the post to Bisto Kelly, who pulled first time to the back of the net. Mark Young then scored a great point, before Bracknagh were given a lifeline when referee Martin Carthy awarded them a penalty for a push on the back by an Edenderry defender on a Bracknagh forward. From the resulting spot-kick, the Bracknagh player drove the ball to the roof of the net to give Colin McCormack no chance. Bracknagh followed up with two points, one from play and one from a free awarded for over carrying by an Edenderry player. Just before the break Cillian Farrell settled his side with a great long range point, after some high fielding from Alan Doyle.

Halftime, Edenderry 2-05 Bracknagh 1-04.

Bracknagh started the second half very well, and had Edenderry’s lead down to two points after they scored two good points on the resumption of play. Edenderry nearly got in for their third goal, but the Bracknagh goalie made a great save to deny Mark Young. Both sides then swapped points, with the Edenderry score coming from Keith McGuinness who fisted over the bar, before Mark Young scored a goal after a good one/two with Alan Doyle. Michael Bryan was then introduced by management in place of Shane Forde. Edenderry then added three points in a row, with Mark Young, Cillian Farrell (free) and Keith McGuinness finding the target. Edenderry were then awarded a penalty when Keith McGuinness had his jersey pulled as he sent the ball into the net. But the ref didn’t allow the score to stand, and Mark Young stepped up to convert the spot-kick. Only a few minutes later Edenderry were given a second penalty when a Bracknagh defender made a foot block on a Keith McGuinness shot. Up stepped Mark Young again, and like the first spot kick he made no mistake as he sent the ball past the ‘keeper. Edenderry management then introduced Padraig Foy, Glen Dolan, Adrian Forde and Paul Hanlon in place of Mark Young, Joe Murphy, Johnny Blong and Cillian Farrell. Edenderry finished off the scoring with a great goal from Keith McGuinness, after Bisto Kelly sent him through with a fantastic pass.

Despite Edenderry winning comfortably in the end, it was disappointing that they only put up nine points on the board against the bottom team in the group. Edenderry had some good performances from Stuart Quinn, Stephen Doyle, Adrian Mahon, Bisto Kelly, Mark Young and Keith McGuinness.

Team: Colin McCormack; Joe Murphy, Stuart Quinn, Wayne Mooney; Johnny Blong, Colm Cummins, Johnny Hurst; Stephen Doyle, Adrian Mahon; Shane Forde, Cillian Farrell (0-3), Shane ‘Bisto’ Kelly (1-1); Mark Young (3-3), Keith McGuinness (2-2), Alan Doyle.

Substitutes: Michael Bryan, Padraig Foy, Glen Dolan, Adrian Forde, Paul Hanlon.

Referee: Martin Carthy.